Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 4 weeks ago

My parents don’t care my 17 year old brother drinks beer? (No hate please)?

So my brother who is 17 often drinks beer, last night my dad and him went on the deck at around 8:45 at night and my dad just smiled and laughed as my brother chugged a bud light. They simply don’t care. He drinks with his friends, and he works with kids after school (at an after school babysitting program) if he has any run in with the cops he’s fired. He does not care though and continued nor do my parents. Please help, please do not troll or send rude comments, I’m going through a tough time, thanks for understanding.

Response 1: I would appreciate it if you would not give me hate comments. It’s more then one, don’t assume I never said it’s just one. Please don’t make assumptions 

Some parents feel that by normalizing alcohol they're preventing things like binge drinking and drunk driving. But you make the valid point that this could get everyone involved into legal trouble. There's probably not much you can do unless you're willing to call the police on your own family though.

• mikey

In many countries 16 is the drinking age. 17yr olds serve in the military, attend college, out of school and working, some married etc. He's 17 not 7.

not much you can do unless hes drinking underage and then maybe you can try telling the cops about it

My first reaction is this:  WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH YOUR PARENTS?

First off, they are contributing to the delinquency of a minor child and encouraging underage drinking.  They are breaking the law and encouraging your brother to break it, too.  Obviously they are bad parents. 

Remember that sooner or later, your brother will get into trouble with the cops and YOUR PARENTS will have to answer for this.  The police will focus on them and their failure to be responsible.

And so when the manure hits the ventilator, which it surely will when he gets into trouble.  Simply speak up and have the guts to remind your parents that it was they who encouraged him to break the law.  this is on them.

DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR CRIME!

Your brother knows and understands this is wrong, yet he chooses to go along with it.

I wouldnt worry about it, its actually not a big deal. They have age restrictions to allow for worst case scenarios. 17 is old enough to drink beer (for most people), and Bud Light has very little alcohol in it. As long as he doesnt binge drink, or drink the heavy stuff, then he will be totally fine. I would guess that it would probably take about 4 Bud Lights for him to actually feel drunk anyway. You can keep an eye on him, if he drinks several beers a day, then you can worry and do something about it, but to be honest most young people start drinking at about that age, and like i said Light beer is very weak.

• martin

There are worse things than having a beer with father, although alcohol can lead to really bad experiences in life. Drinking and driving is out, for example. Your dad should be strict about that.

And over here we're just worried about 9-year-olds drinking Bacardi Breezers. Your brother's the real issue.

If you aren’t making this up, your parents don’t know any better. Bad parenting. 

That would be why your brother doesn’t care.

If he has any “run-ins,” tell your parents. A police record after 18 is permanent. Your parents do know that much.

I think your brothers going through something if he’s putting his job on the line .. he needs help I think you should talk to him or just ask questions 

• Frank

Why the F#CK do you care? Beer has been drunk for THOUSANDS of years because it was one way to make WATER safer to drink. The ALCOHOL would KILL the nasty critters in the water.

If your idiot brother IS NOT DRIVING...he is not a hazard to himself or anyone else. One beer is not going to make anyone drunk.

Are you incapable of MINDING YOUR OWN BUSINESS?

Once you are 18...YOU CAN MOVE THE F#CK OUT and stop dealing with idiots who's behavior you find "objectionable".

"waa waa waa....he drank a BEEEEERR"....who cares?