Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 3 weeks ago

What type of oil should I use for a high mileage SUV?

Honda Pilot with over 200,000 miles. What oil should I use: Synthetic, High Mileage or Thicker oil?

And what brand of oil?

• bobby

Continue using the same oil that you have been using up to this point,  keep it changed at its regular intervals, you will be fine.  

• Sally

Use Mobile 1 synthetic.  

If you want better gas mileage, you will do better by ditching the SUV for something more practical.

• zipper

You stay with the type and brand that got you this far already.  And you change your name as well.

I usually use kitchen palm oil for my SUV

??????????????b

Idk dude lol...

• John

As SUVs get older the head and other critical bolts need constant checking and torsioning since the suspensions cause wear on the threads.

So, your brand of oil gets thicker as you go along unless you want to change first with a thinner brand drive a hundred miles then change to the recommended 30W.

A grade thicker than the grade you use now is fine for warm oil changes.

But you only need to worry if you are loosing a little oil when you change 

Synthetics are really for new engines and the recommended weight is just fine as long as you bought it that way.

You can implement synthetics if you want even in old engines but you'll have to put up with losses and other odd things like constantly changing filters.

The last engine I switched to synthetics required quite a bit of work while I was driving including changing the oil filter in almost  every town I can to for about 800 miles. The synthetic kept washing the dirt into the filter.

It was a grand old time.

Look in the owners manual to learn the API service rating and viscosity specification for the oil. Sometimes this is under the hood or on oil cap also. The year matters a lot as oil specifications changed a lot from 1995 to 2015.

Never run "thicker" oil. That will cause the hydraulic lifters to fail.

I've been using Valvoline High Mileage Blend in my last 3 Pontiac's and change it every 3 to 4 thousand miles. I also top the oil up every 1,000 miles so the oil level never drops lower then half way between the upper and lower dipstick marks.

All my cars still ran great when I sold them with 280,000 miles on them.

Did you replace the timing belt and water pump at 200,000 miles? If not it's ready for it's 2ed timing belt.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech