Adam asked in TravelAir Travel · 3 weeks ago

can i make this trip in time?

I have to go to chicago sometime to the spanish embassy to get my visa, i live in iowa, so heres my question

my flight will arrive at about 8am, i have to go 15 miles into the city, give or take, do my appointment which may take about an hour or so, and then once thats done, i have to get to the airport and fly back home on the evening flight back home, so ive been through the city of chicago but i do know traffic can be quite bad, would you think id be able to make it back to the airport in time? id have about 12 hours to leave the airport, go to the city and do my meeting then get my ride back to the airport, depending on traffic and all else, does this sound doable ?

• AJ

You can take the Blue line from O'Hare to the Washington stop downtown. That takes about 43 minutes. That puts you 3 blocks from the consulate. There's a train every 8 minutes.

There is no EMBASSY for Spain in Chicago.

180 Michigan Ave #1500, Chicago is the Consulate.

At that time of morning Budget TWO hours from plane to Consulate

It does take a bit to get to the train , bus or cab area.

For your planing purposes budget two hours for the return journey and you should be at the check in area about two hours before departure.

Enjoy your day just watch your time.

It is doable

As you have an appointment at the Embassy, rather than joining a long queue and hoping for the best, you should manage this all right.

But officialdom has its own special ways of causing hiccups, so be certain you have ALL the documentation required, get to the Embassy early, and allow an extra hour, hour and a half in case of unforeseen problems, like what @Gypsyfish said about photos.

Don't even think about doing anything else AT ALL until you've been to the Embassy and concluded your business there.

• Neil

Use the train. Then no worries about traffic.

Yes, plenty of time.

I could do it. That doesn't mean you could do it. The fact you don't know if you can do it indicates you'll probably get gunned down on the south side of Chicago

That should be enough time. When I had to do this for a visa, when I got there I found out that the photos I'd had taken weren't right, so I had to run and find a pharmacy where they'd do the new photos, wait for them, then run back to the consulate. Make sure you have everything you need to get the visa. 

• MS

That should be plenty of time.  Take the train to/from the airport and traffic won't be an issue.  You'll likely have some extra time in the city if you want to explore a bit and have a nice meal.

Can't see why you wouldn't be able to do that, with time to spare. LOTS of it. You'll have time to buy yourself a nice lunch and still have extra time. Public transit from the airport to downtown--I'll assume the embassy is somewhere downtown, yes, google shows it about as downtown as you can get--isn't going to take more than an hour and a half even if you have to walk or take a cab or bus for part of it. The transit in from the airport is a train. No traffic holdups. O'Hare's website gives all the options for travel to and from the airport.