I am seventeen and I want to move away from home and get a small apartment. What are the first steps I should take in order to do this?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

You should first decide where you want to move and what is the budget you can afford at the moment as it will help you to decide which area you can move in and what kind of apartment might be suitable according to your needs. Moving out is always a big step as you are leaving a secure nest and moving out in the cold world. Next you can contact an Estate Agent or check out listings on online Real Estate Portals to get a better idea of the rates in different areas

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Get a job.  Most landlords won't rent to you without a job and being able to make rent payment

Turn 18, most landlords won't rent to someone under 18

Start saving your money.  You'll need the first month's rent, maybe last month's and a security deposit.  Then you'll need deposits likely for utilities.  You're going to find out moving in and setting up a new place is pricey.

• Boomerful3 weeks agoReport

I knew a young, smart man who, at 17, had 10K saved up, got his own place, had a job, got state help for college. He was ON His Way. Then he got into pot & booze, then selling it. Got hooked on both. He's now a 35 yr. old LOSER. In and out of jail. Everyone is at fault but him; from pot & booze.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Foremost as a land lord I NEVER rent to anyone under 20, period.

If you have not been at your current job at least 2 years and earn 3 times your rent payment, I will not rent to you.

If you have no or a bad credit rating then no deal either.

ANYONE signing the lease will be living in the apt/house and not merely to qualify a child.

If you can meet those qualifications and think you have it made there will be no shack ups in the apt/house unless they qualify just as the original tenant did.

WHY such a hard asss, once burned you learn a lot and within this age group many, many things are more important to kids than their rent payments! 

So stay home get a good job or two and save up until you are old enough or can find someone foolish enough to rent to you.

• 3 weeks ago

Find a job that will enable you to pay the rent, utilities, food and have some money left over. It would probably be best that you wait until you are 18 and out of HS.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Do you have a job making around 3 times the rent? That's first. Then save up at least 3 times the rent (you'll need to pay the landlord the first month's rent, a security deposit, and probably the last month's rent) plus about $1000-1500 for deposits to get utilities turned on, and things you'll need to have. You can't sign a lease until you're at least 18, and few landlords will rent to an 18 year old.

• Boomerful3 weeks agoReport

For smart landlords, that's for each individual renting the apt. All must have great credit. Maybe a slumlord would accept the collective household. 

• Eva
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Turn 18 and get a job. You can't sign a contract at 17 and you need a steady income. You'll need to save up some money for the security deposit and first month's rent at least. Some places also require the last month up front.

• 3 weeks ago

you'd have to go through a lengthily court process, and unless you have a lot of money and a sustainable job, credit card companies will not allow you to pull a loan until you turn 18 because your still a minor

Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

Get a job, build a credit history for starters

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

You need to be at least 18 and many want a good credit history or a good prior rental history. Without that or a strong cosigner or 4-6 months in advance, you will not be renting from most apartment complexes.

• Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Wait a few years.....minors can't sign a legal contract (a lease)

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.