Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 4 weeks ago

Why is smoking weed or vaping seem cool by younger people in the society, but not smoking cigarettes?

I'm not talking about the dangers of those things; I know that they are all harmful in one way or another. 

Favorite Answer

Fad culture, bandwagon mentalities, I'd presume.  Cigarettes used to be toted as something good, even by doctors in TV advertisements.... basically there was a lot of lies about the benefits. Before they started to make a bunch of cheap devices, and putting marijuana and other weird stuff in vaping devices... vaping has been going on for years without much of a fuss at all. My parents have been vaping for years, but not weird stuff. 

The condemnation of vaping moreso than cigarettes, does seem very hypocritical to me...considering the number of deaths and cancer caused by cigarettes is so high. It's like the aids epidemic... people don't talk about it much, and yet it's still killing. The media blows up micro issues making them into macro issues, and the macro issues are treated as trivial.  People keep encouraging homosexuality as being okay, while people are dying from it. 

Not to get too off topic, but the anal shoot was not designed for penetration and it lacks lubrication and is prone to bleeding. The lining of the anal canal and rectum are thinner and more easily torn than tissue inside the vagina. You can also tear the sphincter muscles. Since there is no natural lubrication, there is no protection from friction. Open wounds mixed with bacteria is dangerous for both participants, and this is why it is much easier to get aids through anal intercourse. 

A portion of this info is taken from an article on popular science. Planned Parenthood also states that anal sex is a high-risk practice that could result in many sexually transmitted infections such as: chlamydia, gonorrhea, herpes, hepatitis, intestinal parasites, HIV, HPV, and syphilis.

Our culture promotes unhealthy things, while maintaining an illusion of being concerned about health....alcoholism, using recreational drugs..etc...

Its because of what they promote, even in music videos, ads etc. Even peers can influence this. Its just somewhat a way to be accepted in society, or seem "cool" when they honestly aren't. For example rappers, movies etc. promote this

your question answers it's self

it is all stupid ,, but young people fads and fun stuff makes people lie or listen to lies

none of it is cool -- soon pot will be the next evil now it is legal 

vaping is just stupid its worse than cigarettes. Satan put weed on this earth for us to enjoy. oh yeah, cigarettes are bad to. 

Vaping is far less dangerous weed is just great

Why "does", not why "is". They believe, incorrectly, that there no health risks associated with vaping. That's why.

• Helen

I think that smoking is now seen as an 'older person' thing to do. It isn't new or edgy or sexy anymore. Plus vaping does smell a lot better. 

I don't smoke.

But I do think that vaping looks a lot less cool than smoking.

maybe cause thats what their friends are doing

Because cigarettes are the most dangerous out of the three products you named and youth of today have grown up seeing and hearing of this problem

• Gary

It’s not cool at all. It’s bad for you.