What should I do when my friend self harms in front of me?

When my friend is feeling anxious and low she gets quiet and starts digging her nails into the skin around her thumbs and picking it. What should I do it this situation? Should I just hold her hands to stop her from being able to do it? Any ideas?

First of all it’s lovely that you care and you’re looking out for your friend. I wouldn’t be too concerned as a lot of people do this when they’re anxious and it isn’t related to any suicidal ideation. That being said, I would recommend speaking to her and seeing why she does it. 

It could be that she suffers with an anxiety disorder and is not aware, of it could be she’s just feeling stressed or anxious and that’s her coping mechanism (which is actually pretty normal). 

This would be unexpected, but if she is doing this as a form of self harm then I would recommend looking up other methods to cope and avoid damage. For example, a lot of my patients use elastic bands which they wear on their wrist and will ping against their skin. This seems to have the same effect as a lot of otherwise more harmful self-harm methods. 

• martin

Holding her hands and trying to comfort her would be a very nice thing to do.

• You is no a docktor...she is needed the helps from the philosophtrik doktor.

• Helen

Digging in nails and picking at skin is actually a classic but less known symptom of anxiety. It is not self-harm. Do not try to force her to stop, but do encourage her to seek help for her anxiety.

just hold her hands and tell her parents

Shahs Justin has to become the