My engine light came on in my 2012 VW Jetta 2.5 SE (leak detection pump)?

I am aware based on the code that read to me (can't remember what it was specifically) that there is a problem with my fuel vapor leak detection pump, some solenoid or it could be about 4-5 other things.

Every time that I fill gas, regardless of how full the gas tank is, I turn the key and the engine basically dies for a few seconds but then I am able to start but the engine basically has to struggle to do so (I believe this to be air that gets in the tank as I fill up). 

My question is: 

If I replace the leak detection pump, would that fix the issue with my engine starting?

The code that you can't remember will answer the question. If you TEST suspect parts and replace the broken one as indicated by testing.

There are several trouble codes that relate to the leak detection pump. Without knowing the code you're asking the impossible.

maybe you should have a mechanic check it out

So you have an actual question, but didn't put it in the header, where it belongs. What the hell is wrong with you?