Why are some Tesco's open 24 hours a day?

Who goes shopping to Tescos at 2 or 3 in the morning?

And who wants to work in Tescos all night?

I've been in once or twice. Most decent sized supermarkets have staff in all night on stock replenishment,  warehouse  staff accepting and processing deliveries as well as cleaning staff on the premises 24 hours.

As The heating and lights are on as well they may as well keep the doors open, pay for a guard to watch the door and have a cashier on a till.

• denise

You'd be surprised how many 'shop' in the wee hours, people before a work shift or after a late shift. It is quieter and not as busy, some shop staff fill the shelves during a 'night' shift for the same reason. Plus the pay rate is good.

There is obviously a need for it. It would be a skeleton staff on the tills. They would do all their cleaning and shelf filling at odd hours anyway.

Supermarket giant Tesco will reduce opening hours at some of its 24-hour stores ... He wants to improve the shopping experience, simplify the ... Another day of shame for Tesco: Grocer faces £500m fine over ... No more night owls: Tesco is calling time on 76 stores round-the- 

You get more pay for working nights. I used to work at ASDA on certain nights 10pm to 6 in the morning. I don't recall many people at all came in to shop after 1 in the morning. With all this new self checkout stuff you don't even need to go crazy with the number of checkout staff. So long as one person is on standby for 16+ 18+ products there's no issue.

Because we live in a 24 hour world. Many 24 hour convenience stores are locsted in high traffic areas and along highways where traffic runs 24 hours. Believe it or not, these stores are busy most of the night. From 12 am to 3 am, you have the drunks and a small lull and from 4 to 7 am you have the morning rush of people heading to work

• Occasionally I've been to Tesco early in the morning and sometimes I need to shop there late at night when I return from a trip abroad. I've never known it to be empty. Night staff get paid double and Tesco don't seem to have any problem recruiting them.

Those who are hungry after partying all night .  Those who need the money