Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 4 weeks ago

RAM Question?

So there's 4 slots on my motherboard for ram, if I want to fill all 4 slots; do I need to have the same exact kind of ram sticks or can I do a mix-match of sorts?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Fulano
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

If they have different speeds, they will run a the slowest stick's speed, so you may loose some performance there.

If they are different capacities, the motherboard won't be able to run the RAM in dual channel mode, which means it's speed will be halved.

If you're running things that need a ton of RAM, you'll probably need that performance boost from the faster RAM speed.Mixing brands is usually fine, but there are still odd compatibility quirks out there.

• Me2
    Lv 7
    3 weeks ago

The vast majority of modern mainboards permit mixing modules of differing capacities, speeds, and timing.  No module may be larger than supported by a slot, and the speed must be equal or greater than the minimum supported by the board.  Timing is usually inconsequential.

See the mainboard manual or the manufacturer's support site for RAM specifications.

[ EDIT:  I suspect that the person downvoting is unfamiliar with modern memory controllers.  Mixed RAM support is now nearly universal, as a review of a current mainboard manuals and manufacturers' RAM support pages will attest.  It's also true of most, if not all, multi-channel RAM controllers, which have evolved to great flexibility. ]

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

That depends. On some computers you can do that, on others you can't. You can also split the CPU into smaller units on many computers, but still there are other computers where you can't do this. So, it would depend on the specifications of your particular computer.

• 4 weeks ago

on most machines, RAM has to be installed in pairs, using alternating slots. while the mobo documentation may say that mixing sizes and even speeds is ok [the higher speed sticks will be throttled down by the mobo], there are many reports that this hasn't worked. safest is to populate the board with four identical sticks all bought at the same time from same vendor. that way, they all come from same production batch.

Source(s): homebuilder
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

It is always best if they match.  If you insert RAM of different speeds, it will work but run at the speed of the slowest.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.