Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingNewborn & Baby · 4 weeks ago

Newborn constipation?

My 9 day old has constipation. He hasn't gone in over 24 hours and the pediatrician recommended infant glycerin suppository but that's not even for babies till they are older so I don't know why she would recommend it? Can anyone help me? I have tried the massages and leg exercises which help him pass gas but that's it. I'm really concerned and don't want to have to take him to the hospital for this if I can find a remedy but I guess I will if I have to. Thanks in advance. 

He gets formula and breast so I know formula could be the cause. I want to stop the formula now to maybe help but he just kept getting hungry because I don't produce enough and literally tried to feed on my breasts for like 2 hours straight. 

• PR
    Favorite Answer

If the pediatrician suggested the suppositories, that should be the answer. If that makes you nervous, take the baby to the doctor's office, which should have been their first suggestion.

If you get really concerned either call the pediatrician back, or take the baby to one of those prompt clinics, or talk with your local pharmacy. Pharmacists usually are quite helpful with many things.

After that, try using formula without iron in it. If you are using soy formula, try switching to a dairy-based formula. If you can't find what you want at a normal store, try a health food store for non-iron mix.

Everywhere else in the world, infant glycerin suppositories are for ages 0 to 1 - and they're a 1 gram dose. (Next step up is child size, which is 2 grams). And the suppository is the safest and most trustworthy remedy - especially if frequent use proves necessary. At worst it'll upset him when you put it in, the suppository will definitely make him do a smelly in 5-20 minutes.

If you are in the UK, ring 111. It's free and they'll either help or advise you if you need to see a doctor.

Or try a pharmacist, preferably a female one who's had children.

You've already talked to your doctor.  I have no idea why you would trust random strangers with no verifiable credentials over your actual pediatrician. 

By all means, ask and trust what strangers on the internet say over your pediatrician.

The baby may be too young but chamomile tea works wonders. 

It’s safe and natural. I’ve used it for all my babies. The warm liquid will help move things along down there. Just a few ounces.

Good luck 

• Bill

Water or fruit juice. Offer your baby a small amount of water or a daily serving of 100 percent apple, prune or pear juice in addition to usual feedings. These juices contain sorbitol, a sweetener that acts like a laxative. Start with 2 to 4 ounces (about 60 to 120 milliliters), and experiment to determine whether your baby needs more or less.

if you are breast feeding , add a water bottle as well bewteen feeds

ref--mayo clinic on the net

• Tri-Harder
      4 weeks agoReport

Here's the update if you care to read it.  (Not that I think you will when you didn't even read your own source link or any comment of mine beyond "definitely/definately".)  https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/no-fruit-juice-for-babies-younger-than-1/