Anonymous

a question for white americans...?

I was told that many Americans do not consider the Spanish and Portuguese people as white people because the people of the Iberian Peninsula are mixed with Arabs and North Africans, I understand, because many Iberians have a darker skin than Italians and Greeks for example, although they are all European. but what I want to know is, for those people who don't think the Iberians are white, which race would I be? my ancestry is Azorean, so I know I am technically Portuguese, but the Azores are not located in the Iberian peninsula, which means that maybe the Azoreans are not mixed with Arabs and North Africans like the Iberians (I don't know the origin of the Azorean people ) I know that theoretically every European is white, but I want to know how I would be classified in the United States, especially for Americans who do not consider Iberians to be white. would i be classified as white?

Favorite Answer

Since you asked, here's a map that shows what countries are considered white according to the U.S. census [which doesn't make much sense btw: Sudan white!?]

In my mind, I accept those people as white, but they usually have a darker skin tone. Their cultures are different but in a good way.

• Mark

The idea of race has long been proven

as total bunk w/ no science or any kind

of research backing said idea up @ all.

• Magui

I don't know what Americans think.

Iberians are not darker than Italians and Greek. They are the same.

The Azores Archipelago was discovered after the Moors were expelled from Portugal. People who went to settle in the Azores were from continental Portugal, so if there was some sort of mixing with the Moors then Azoreans are just as mixed as the rest of the Portuguese people.

There was the settlement of some Flemish people in the Azores. And the French sounding name Bettencourt is quite common in the Azores.

I hope I helped.

Source(s): I am Portuguese.

That comes from the pride groups. The statement has been changed, it's not because of African Arabs.

The Roman Latins used a different definition for race. People from the area once called Iberia Hisapnia aren't white because they don't have a heritage definition for race by skin color. However, all native Europeans are white by modern definition (you fill in what that means).

The original Latins felt they were mixed with immortals, each family had a different original father. Some of the father's weren't human, so technically they felt they were a separate race ... The current theocracy of Rome (Roman Catholic church) doesn't support any form of genetic race to this day. They say there's only one father and therefore all humans are the same.

Also Iberia Hispania and Iberia Caucasia are two different places. So, you're not Caucasian either.

As a note - You need to remember that Portugal promised to support Rome when the church helped them get recognized as a separate group of people. It’s not going to make a difference if you personally claim Roman Latin / Catholic or not.

Is that really important? We all have red blood.

Not all white Americans are racists and hateful, or need to belittle another group to make them feel special, or better. I think about 12-15% are truly racists and hateful. Another 10% are people who were raised with white or rich privileged and like the better treatment and are afraid to loss it. And then there is 3-5% who do not care about anyone else but themselves and as long as they get theirs, screw everyone else. That still leaves 70-75% who should do good. But the bad 25% try to get the rest of us to fight with each other, and sometimes different groups of the 75% will join the bad people and help evil to continue.

The US Government classifies Europeans, north Africans and western Asians as "white". People of the Iberian peninsular are, therefore,  "white". Not that any of them would care, classifying people by "race" is something Americans do but hardly anyone else does for the simple reason that there are no biological races in humans.

As long as you look white, talk white, and can make a white baby everyone wii think you are white.

Race has always been important in America particularly in the Southern states.  Since the Trump Presidency White Supremacist, like Richard Spencer, who advocates racial cleansing have become increasingly vocal.  You will likely see race become an even bigger deal here in America now that FOX News, Britebart, and the Daily Stormer have gained so much popularity.

• Dr. D

In America people cannot tell where you are from by your appearance. If you look white people will assume you are white. If you look dark skinned they will assume you are something other than white. 

In America there are many Sicilians, many Mexicans, many Arabs, many Indians, many people from Mediterranean countries, etc. For the most part, Americans don't care about your skin color. If you treat them with respect, they will respond by treating you with respect.