Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Are vent pipes grounded?

I foolishly connected a 20' mast and antenna to a vent pipe Without grounding it. They predict thunderstorm Tues. Is the vent pipe Electrically Grounded, by code? (House built in 1964)

I know I will have to tie it to my existing ground stake, but in meantime am I OK?

(My main antenna mast, to chimney and guyed, is properly grounded. Never hit in 15 years.)

I just recalled, the pipes in my house are all submerged in a concrete slab. The junctions and drain pipes are  in the slab. I Suppose this is "grounded"?

I trust you,  Daniel,  you like rats and at least give thought out answers. 

Favorite Answer

The metal for plumbing are usually grounded. Vents for stove ventilation may not be.

You should be OK, but a ground rod and copper wire won't hurt.

no, vent pipes are not grounded. it would be best to get a ground rod from a hardware store that is about 10 ft long, and using a big air hammer and drive it into the ground and ground it on that

probably ... with the house built in 1964, it is likely the vent stack is all metal to the sewer connection underground. The thing is that, in order for it to function, the pieces of pipe don't really need to be solidly connected together. You can temporarily ground the new mast to the existing mast simply by running a length of #10 copper wire over there [across the roof, I assume] -- that'll likely work for months and months.

you could check this -- run an extension cord up there and test the continuity [with your multimeter] between the cord's ground and the vent stack. But, like I said, I don't think it is something you can count on for the long run.

The other bit is that if a lightning strike does want to use the vent stack to reach ground ... what does it run through? Ah -- your wooden roof and inside your wood and plasterboard walls. That's hardly where you'd want a few million amps of current running. Lots safer to have that current run across the roof to the existing ground.

Source(s): grampa

This is a hotly debated topic I think, whether or not to unhook your radio and ... If you get a direct hit by lightning, you're going to have some damage. ... and the ends of the co-ax lines be put as far from the house/shack as they can be. ... If your coax is not grounded then it needs to be disconnected and taken ...

Nope. Your vent pipe is probably made out of plastic and there is a lead piece that is part of the roof called a boot. The plastic vent pipe sticks up inside the boot. All of it is not grounded. I would be more worried about the antennae mast blowing over and tearing up the boot and vent than lightening. But, your antennae mast is prone to lightening. Plumbing is not grounded by a ground cable. Only electrical is grounded. If you are worried about lighting strikes, put in a pole with a copper rod on top and run a ground cable from it to a ground rod. Put it off a few hundred feet away from the house, away from trees, on top of a hill, etc. in case there is a lightening strike. That rod should disperse off the accumulating charge as it builds and prevent a lightening strike. Don't put a lightening rod on the house. They do work, but you have to put them in the right place.

• Earleen
      4 weeks agoReport

What I said was move the GPO away from the house and not let the house be a GPO.