Carbon monoxide ?

Hello! I bought a new build property today it has a carbon monoxide monitor in one of the bedrooms. After being in the property about an hour I noticed the monitor was red and the reading was 1443 PPM carbon dioxide. How concerned should I be? 

Thanks in advance 


Carbon monoxide not dioxide 

3 Answers

  • 8 months ago

    If the monitor actually said "1443 PPM carbon DIoxide" you have little to worry about, since carbon dioxide is hardly toxic, although that room might feel stuffy.   (But why would a carbon MONoxide detector display carbon dioxide levels?)

    If the monitor actually said  "1443 PPM carbon MONoxide" you have two separate troubles: 1. The concentration of carbon monoxide in that room is way over the acceptable limit, and 2. Why is your monitor not sounding a loud alarm when that limit is exceeded?

    • Nicola8 months agoReport

      It is a concern, I did mean carbon monoxide, we aren’t currently in the property but I went in today and meter showed the highest 24 hour reading to be 1804 ppm - the display was red but there was not beeping which is strange. I’m going to speak to the site agent tomorrow. Thanks for your answer! 

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 8 months ago

    If the monitor is accurate, I would be very concerned, if what you meant was 1443 ppm of carbon monoxide. Below is information about the toxicity of different CO exposures.

    50 PPM None for healthy adults. According to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), this is the maximum allowable concentration for continuous exposure for healthy adults in any eight-hour period.

    200 PPM Slight headache, fatigue, dizziness, and nausea after two to three hours.

    400 PPM Frontal headaches with one to two hours. Life threatening after three hours.

    800 PPM Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 minutes. Unconsciousness within two hours. Death within two to three hours.

    1,600 PPM Headache, dizziness and nausea within 20 minutes. Death within one hour.

    • Nicola8 months agoReport

      Can I ask if your American? I don’t know if the levels are measured different in the UK but the booklet I was given for the monitor indicated that less than 999ppm was considered “good air quality” 

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • Anonymous
    8 months ago

    The 8 hour OSHA exposure limit to CO for workers is 50 ppm for an 8 hour shift.

    1443 ppm is way over that IF it's correct.  I would get another meter and check it, your fire department will frequently do that if you call them.

    • Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.