Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 months ago

If atheism is asserted without evidence, can it be dismissed without evidence?

Yes. This is a quote from atheist Christopher Hitchens. I guess having asserted atheism all his life without evidence he realised everything he had preached and written could be dismissed and said this in disillusionment.

Source(s): Christopher Hitchens

yes it definitely is dismissed 

No. Reality and truth are about what is actually real -- not about how well or poorly an opinion is explained.

• Caesar

Theism and atheism are not religions or any assertive position about any of the thousand deities made by theists... just  believes or unbelief in the existence of a god or gods.

So if you can also ask....  If theism is asserted without evidence, can it be dismissed without evidence? Will you need to hide under anonymous for that?

The "a" in front of "theism" indicates it's "not" an assertion. It's the dismissal of an assertion from theists.

I suppose so, if it asserted anything. 

Poor, ignorant little troll.  Atheism asserts nothing.  It is a rejection of the god claim.  ALL god claims.  There...... you have been corrected.  Be gone.

I assert that I don't believe in God.  That makes me an atheist.  You want more evidence that I'm an atheist?  Sorry, you'll just have to take my word for it.

• Duck

Atheists aren't the ones making claim of a deity. The ones making the claim are the ones required to provide evidence for their claim.

That's atheist "logic" for you.