Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 4 weeks ago

Can electrical outlets be damaged when cords get ripped out?

When I am moping, sometimes I will go too far and the prongs on the cord of the mop will bend and come out of the electrical outlet. Can this damage the inside of an electrical outlet? I am trying to be more cautious, but sometimes without noticing I'll go too far and it'll come out of the outlet.

mopping*

• I care

I've made a practice to purchase several of those SAFETY outlets that one can plug  in for safety sake. (Walmart/or Hard wares)  The outlet plug usually takes three prongs....might help as this piece stays more secure.  Hope your outlet holds three prongs.

Use for tv/computer/fans small/ my son's oxygen equipment etc. helps secure more safety practices.  Good luck.  

not really, but it can pull the prongs out of the cord or bend them if you're not careful

The plastic of the outlet will break and that will expose the actual outlet prong for a zap.  Go buy a cheap extension cord for that additional length as it seems you need a bit more. So get a 6 foot cord.  The bigger problem is that the cord itself breaks the wires inside right behind the plug so it is impossible to fix. So stop yanking the cord...or you will have to replace the cord or the whole damn thing.  It gets expensive if the cord is a 100 extension cord and it is broken right behind the head.

Unless the prongs come out in a straight line as they would if you disconnected the plug by hand then, yes, the socket can be damaged internally.

If you bent the prongs then you also put stress on the thin plastic that frames the prongs. Do it enough times you may break the face of the receptacle exposing the metal contacts.

So you don't immediately damage the contacts, but you can damage the plastic that holds the contacts in place.

the outlet will not be damaged

No, not usually.

Thanks for the update.  I was worried about you moping and going too far. 

If you are pulling straight out, there should be no problem for the outlet, ..just hard on the cord.

If you are pulling perpendicular (90 degrees) , there could be strain on the outlet contacts, but still harder on the cord. 

Yes. Inside the socket, the electrical connection is made through springy metal contacts. Wrenching the plug out, especially at an angle, can bend the metal contact so they don't touch the plug quite so well. That can lead to sparking (arcing) inside the socket that causes a lot of heat that can start a fire or, at least, make the plug or socket get very hot to touch. It is best to avoid ripping out chords or wrenching plugs out of sockets at an angle but it is sometimes hard to avoid.

• keerok

Your mop is electric? Wow! Never heard that before.

Yes, that can damage the cords and worse, you can even start a fire that way.

I sympathize with you. I have the same problem which I solved early on. Cord extensions are cheap. You can buy the parts and assemble one yourself but there are ready made ones that are cheaper already. Buy an extension cord that's twice as long as your biggest room or one that can go twice around your house. Plug it to the outlet nearest to the center of the room or house so you can go anywhere as you please without being bothered of plugging in and out anymore.

• a4 weeks agoReport

Thank you for the reply! I understand it can damage the cord of the mop (since I already messed it up), but can the inside of the electrical outlet in your wall be damaged as well? Unless that's what you already meant.