How can I detect a scam or avoid being scammed by mechanics when I bring in my car to have it fixed up?

It doesn't even have to be for fixing my car, just something as simple as checking my brakes or changing my oil.

I've heard stories of people intentionally damaging cars so that they can sell their product to the customer. Is this possible? True or false?? It's kind of scary to think about happening to you..

If you ask, visual brakes check, They do visual and it gives you an  idea, if you asked a full check, they measure the pads, rotors and drum. If the rear brake is DRUM and stucked onto the hub, We have to hit with hammer to remove the drum, during removal rusty spring, rusy back plate, sometime the brake shoe separates, In this case, you MUST repair the rear brake to drive... I rec always talk to tech.

• Joe

You can't. The best you can do is find someone you trust, usually through a trusted friend. 

I could write endless stories about the times that the customer tried to cheat ME,the mechanic.

• M.
      3 weeks agoReport

I told the owner and he had a lawyer contact the guy who then dropped his nonsense.

But you're right.

I have tolerated 45 years of that kind of customer abuse!

You're too paranoid to "detect" anything!

Go to the dealer. They need to protect their reputation to sell and service the cars they carry and are more likely to make sure their mechanics are honest.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

ask a friend or associate who they use, or go online and find a mechanic. Good luck.

Being told your blinker fluid level is low is a dead giveaway.

• Snezzy
      3 weeks agoReport

It really helps if you can tell a spark thrust bearing from a wheel bracket assembly ramp.

Ask friends/family to recommend a reliable/reasonable mechanic -if this isn't an option, then go online and look up reviews of various shops.

Get multiple quotes before having any major $ repairs done.

There are some shops that will try to take advantage of you - but they are rarer than people would have you believe. In the modern era they will quickly go out of business as people share horror stories online.

Look at the workshop, is it presentable, are there piles of scrap parts knocking about, then best give it a miss, is it immaculately clean, then best give it a miss, in my experience most good mechanics/garages keep a reasonably clear work-space to work from but, not too clean. Also talk to family/friends/neighbours about who they might recommend, normally people who tend to rip off get well known for it.

• don r

One way; Learn auto mechanics.

• Steve3 weeks agoReport

to tell me? i dont know. Im having a lot to think about at the moment. 

• CB

Ask friends, co-workers, relatives for the name of a good and reputable repair shops. 

When a part is called as bad - get the used part back or tell the mechanic you will wait for the repair then take it to another mechanic. You will have to pay a diagnostic fee but you may (or may not) save hundreds of dollars).