Bugs asked in HealthMental Health · 4 weeks ago

I’m a young adult female and can’t cook ... is it okay if I live off take away and Uber eats if I ever move out ?

I recently turned twenty. 

I grew up overprotected, and even at twenty still am. I have a big family. And no one ever gave a dam about asking me to help out. So naturally I’m quite lazy and can’t even cook. And I’m pretty irresponsible and unreliant due to lack of responsibility I was given growing up. I mean hey I at least wash my own clothes and dishes. Sometimes. 

If I ever move out (probably by the time I’m thirty) to live off take away and Uber eats??!!!! 

If you can afford it, sure. However, it is good to learn how to cook at least a couple of dishes because knowing how to has important values attached.

that would be very expensive. better learn to cook...

Cooking isn’t really that hard.  I think it’s more a issue of the emotional overtones surrounding it. It’s usually something that is done for us when we are younger and it makes us feel cared for. So when we are first on our own and faced with the prospect of doing it for ourselves it can make us feel like we’re kind of abandoned, not cared for, ‘forsaken’. So we’d rather have somebody else cook it for us, whether it’s a restaurant, McDonald’s, pizza joint, etc.  I remember what it was like. But the actual process of cooking isn’t that technically difficult. I think you just have to kind of get over the Emotional aspects and when you start doing it after a while it won’t seem much different than doing your laundry or taking a shower or any of the other things you just do as part of your daily routine. Sure you might make some mistakes in the beginning but even food that you kind of mess up you can usually still eat it.  And then you get better at it and it can be a creative act, kind of satisfying. And there are a lot of recipes on the Internet and also instructions basic cooking techniques. You can also go to thrift stores and buy a lot of cookware and silverware and plates and all that kind of stuff. For not too much. If possible, and you have friends who are in your similar situation maybe you can get together with them and do some group cooking also. Might make it a little easier, emotionally. If not, you can still do it I think. You’ll just get used to it. Like I said, I can remember what that was like. Little bit of a bummer at first but then you just kind of get used to it. And then someday maybe you’ll be doing it for your own kids. Ya never know

tt would be expensive that route. You could buy  TV dinners, pop them in a microwave and you are done.

That's all okay as long as you like sex. That's what most men want first.:)

Do not overlooked is the value of learning to cook. Because, cooking helps you develop confidence and self-sufficiency. And for health reason: prepackaged or convenience foods can lead to an increase in hypertension, diabetes, and heart disease. Be prepare to have fun in the kitchen!

Learning is simple and I am sure that you can learn,  you are not helpless.

• That's cute. Ok to have Uber Eats you'll need to pay three delivery man, that's me, a lot of 💰. I make about ten bucks per order. No offense but you would need a sizeable income to eat like that all the time. Either find a good career, or get a slow cooker and just pop a bunch of ingredients in and freeze it.

• Eva

That's an expensive (and high calorie) way to go. Buy a cookbook. You're still living at home, so start learning to cook.

There’s nothing wrong with living off takeout if you can afford to & need to, but it’s cheaper and healthier in the longterm to just learn how to cook- and surprisingly easy!

Try starting small- most people can boil pasta & add sauce from a jar, or scramble an egg. 

You don’t need to be Gordon Ramsey or anything, but knowing how to cook for yourself is an important step in becoming independent.