Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 8 months ago

If I live alone and want to go somewhere, how to take care of a cat?

I don't have friends or relatives.

It depends on how long you will be gone. The ideal way is to get a

petsitter

or take them to a clinic. If it is not in your budget to do this then leaving it at home for 2-3 days shouldn't be a problem. Cats are

independant

animals just make sure to leave enough food and water, maybe consider buying a timed feeder. If it is for longer, try asking a neighbor or friend to check in on them once in a while, and leave toys for them to entertain themselves with. I recommend removing their collars and hiding chords and strings so they won't

cho

ke themselves while you're gone.

Cats can deal with being alone for several days, actually, as long as you leave food and water and toys and clean litter boxes.  the cat will probably let you know how ticked off it is about you leaving, though, when you get home.  It can deal, but may not like it.  Also, the litter will be filled and it might smell if you are gone for more than only a couple days, especially if you have more than one cat.  Spend the first half hour back home cleaning up the cat messes.

So, you can do it.  The best thing is to have someone come by each day just to do a welfare check and spend a few minutes with the cat.  Who?  Neighbor, friend, family, someone you have to hire?  You don't NEED someone, it is just helpful. Also nice to know someone is watching out for your home.

Otherwise, you ought to board the cat, especially if you will be gone more than about 5 days.

Get an electronic cat house 

Extra food and water clean the litter box before you leave and extra toys left out.  I personally invested in a baby monitor that sends to my phone.  I do suggest leaving someone you trust you key to check on them.

Source(s): Pet owner for over 19 years

Hire a stranger from Craigslist to come over and look after it. 

• Layne

Cats are amazing and I have left ours for 2-3 days.  Give plenty of food and water.  It will be okay.

• Carrosh8 months agoReport

That is terrible! If you are going away for 2-3 days you should get a pet sitter or something. 2-3 days the food gets bad (giving them dry food is a really bad choice), water ain't fresh, the litter box gets messy quick and if something happens to them, it's on you. I'm glad thats illegal here.

I take mine to a clinic. $10 a day. The kitty must have its shots & be in good health

• Ocimom

That depends on how long you are gone.  If more then 2 days, you need to find someone to come to your house and feed the cat twice a day and give clean water and scoop the litter box(es) each day.  If you travel frequently you should have 2 cats so they have company.  

Kittens under 8 months old should not be left alone more then a day and they should have company (2 kittens is ideal).  I would NEVER leave a kitten under 6 months old alone for any reason.

• PAMELA

You book it into a cattery to be cared for, if you are going away for a long time that will be expensive, maybe a friend or neighbour could take the cat?

Cats can take care of themselves for about a week. 

Just have plenty of food and water available. If possible, get the one that filters and recycles the water just so that he has fresh water to drink. Have plenty of litter boxes. 

• Carrosh8 months agoReport

No they can't. They need food and fresh water and you actually have to check them once or twice a day. They also need company and the litter box needs to be attended EVERYDAY. I really hope you don't have any pets.

Give the cat to a homeless person along with 20 dollars.