Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 3 weeks ago

If I am still sore from weight lifting yesterday should I go back and do weight lifting today?

• .

You can, but don't work the same muscle groups you worked yesterday. Give your muscles a full 48 hours to recover from a strength workout. That means if you did your workout on Wed evening, don't work those same muscle groups again before Friday evening. That's why some people will focus on different parts of the body, on different days (chest and back; shoulders and arms; legs and back; chest, shoulders, and triceps; back and biceps; etc).

You could also skip lifting today and do cardio instead, then do strength again tomorrow.

I'm sure you will see most of your answerers telling you to rest a day between workouts or to do different muscle groups on different days. That's true if you don't want to hurt or if you're in danger of overextending yourself with the intention of increasing your strength quickly. However, IF you are experienced and knowledgable enough to know what you're doing, you can lift every day. When I was young I got a job digging ditches for a water company one summer. It was pick and shovel labor which isn't done in our country anymore because we have all kinds of labor saving equipment like back-hoes. The first day I thought I would die. I dragged myself back the second day  because I needed the money for university. Eventually, I was working 8 hrs. a day in intense sun and operating a 90 lb. jack hammer to break up reinforced concrete. I felt fine; no aches or pain. So you can work your muscles hard every day, especially if you're young, and IF YOU WORK OUT CORRECTLY, you will not harm yourself and will increase your strength more quickly. I'm giving you an honest answer based upon human physiology, but I'm almost afraid to tell you this for fear you'll overdo it and hurt yourself.

• I care

It depends on how much you actually did?  When we begin a program such as this,  we have to take our time and not over do it.

Normally sitting up a program,  one can find print outs on line I am sure about what is best for first timers.  Or inquire at a sports place about a form on weight lifting to help you.  Wishing you the best......just be careful  

• Burgoo

do you even lift bro

You could take some meds that help your muscule relief.

• Chris

Thats why most people have "days" at the gym. Leg day, back and shoulder day, Bicep day....etc

• martin

With weights, you should not do anything painful. You could life again today, the day after, as long as lifting doesn't trigger sharp pain. Lift lower weights.

• cmac'm

For best results you should always wait about 48 hours before working out the same muscle groups if you are doing weight training

• al

Yes, even if you do a light workout it will help the soreness go away faster!

Just take it easy, don't over do it.