Anonymous

Why do my limbs go numb?

When I lay down in any position my arms will go numb. When sitting down my legs will go numb. That falling asleep feeling. It seems to slowly be getting worse over time. I haven't always had this issue. Why do my limbs go numb and is this something I should be worried about? 

Thanks yall. Guess I will see a doctor. 

• Sparky

Sounds like there is definitely something wrong with your circulatory system.

Numbness and pins and needles feeling in your extremities (hands / feet etc) usually means that there is not enough blood supply getting to them.

As a seasoned nurse, I want you to hear my take on this...  I know everyone is leaning on heart issues, but I disagree.

I'm thinking CNS (Central Nervous System) around your spine.  Numbness and tingling of your extremities (hands and feet) is called peripheral neuropathy and is caused by damage to the nerves between the extremities and the central nervous system (CNS). ... If you have numbness and tingling in your fingers or toes, you should notify your doctor immediately.

Yes, you should be worried about it.  This could be a blood pressure problem.  You might check your own blood pressure when lying down, to see if it drops from the readings taken when you are sitting up.  Definitely see your doctor.  Your heart could be weakening, you could be developing cardiac myopathy or any of a number of other heart-related problems.

Do dynamic stretches ever day and see if that helps, well if it does help then it means your muscles were stiff and tight.

• ..

Obviously a blood circulation problem. It can happen to anyone, if sitting in awkward positions, but not normal otherwise.

I'm not a DR. but I did stay at a Holiday Inn a few years ago. I'm going with a lack of circulation. If you are getting up and moving, increase it and maybe add basic calisthenics to your daily routine. Me? I'd check with my DR. 

• Sandy

yeah, that's not supposed to be happening. you need to see a doctor.