Keith asked in Cars & TransportationAircraft · 8 months ago

Can mentally retarded people have a pilot license?

I know a retarded person is capable of flying a plane, my brother is retarded and flies our plane all the time, he wants to be a pilot for an airlines and asked me if he could get a pilot license, he has a drivers license.

All airline pilots are require to maintain a type one medical certificate from an aviation medical examiner. I would start by talking to an aviation medical examiner about the requirements to get the certificate. The FAA also has an exception for medical certificates called SODA or Statement of Demonstrated Ability. It is for people who would normally not meet the requirement for a medical certificate but can demonstrate that they can still safely fly. I recommend visiting a flight school to learn more about the limitations of SODAs they may not apply to airline transport pilot certificates which are needed to be an airline pilot.

Awesome picture! 

That depends on the level or retardation, but just off the bat, I would say most likely not.

Flying an airplane is just part of the story; being a pilot is mostly about how to handle emergencies. Most pilot would likely NEVER face an emergency, but the same could be true of most houses never burning down--yet you would consider it wise to have insurance.

Basically, ask yourself if the average passenger would be willing to be in a plane flown by someone with a mental handicap. If the average person would refuse to board such a plane, then no airline would agree to it.

Don't know. CAN YOU?

Mental retardation is a broad term. What kind of condition does he suffer from exactly?

• ?

Depends how retarded he is - if he's capable of passing the pilot's exam, then he's capable