what's the best ereader on the market?

what's overall the best reading device out there? (preferably excluding any that would break the bank)

• chorle

I think I agree with Paper White if you only want to read and not be distracted by being able to pull up email. facebook, twitter, extra. 

The best and cheapest might be the app on a phone or tablet you already own.

I use a computer tablet. The Kindle app is almost everywhere. My tablet was "Free" form  T-Mobile for $10 extra a month for 2 years of service added to my phone plan. Like mentioned like mentioned most books on Project Gutenberg https://www.gutenberg.org/ can be read on a Kindle or in the Kindle app. 

Kindle Paperwhite is best for those that just like to read books. Many books on amazon are free, especially 19th century and early 20th century works. Most libraries have kindle copies available for loan. 

The Kindle Paperwhite.