Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 4 weeks ago

Do seniors mostly gravitate towards religion because they're going to die soon anyway?

I think it is a fair assumption because believers are generally older,  youngsters who are religious are usually indoctrinated by parental figures

@Grundoon You are brave

Yes, it wasn't until I developed health problems and my husbands passed that my own mortality dawned on me. I never used to think of religion as a youngster, it was something for old folk. Of course I went to sunday school and was encouraged to go to church but left to my own devices at 18, I did not have anything to do with the church.  After my husband passed away, I became very scared and lonely. Religion has given me new friends, a safety blanket and a support network. It made me feel safe again, like my husband used to. I think most naturally gravitate towards it when the reach retirement, although perhaps not as much these days.

• Judee
      2 weeks agoReport

Which 'religion' has given you a safety blanket? Islam, Satanism, Mormons,Jehovah's Witnesses etc. If you mean Christianity then you should call it that and be prepared to say that you believe that Jesus is the only Son of God who died taking your punishment for sin, so that you won't be punished. 

Gravitating towards religions isn't enough.  Religion is a very broad word meaning many things and gravitating towards it just because you fear death will not pave one's way to Heaven.  It might help you to die more peacefully but only serious faith in Christ will save a person from what God decides will happen to you.

possibly, or because they've lost a lot of friends and peers to death either thru sickness or accident already.

Those old people, to whom you refer, probably have attended church since they were babes in arms, married someone who was also a church goer and brought up their children to attend church.  However, as time has passed there has been a great falling away in both nominal church attendance and truly saved believers.  Too many events, temptations etc. keep people from church these days but the true believers are keeping the churches going. 

I know many churches with just a handful of attendees who give, very generously, to keep the heat on and pay the preacher.  God knows His own children and He honours those who honour Him.

I have no idea what I touched to change this to italics half way through.

• Dick

The seniors I know are all atheists.

• Sam

When people are young they sometimes grasp at religion as something to explain things they don't understand. Lots of religious young people. 

Later and in mid life, people tend to gravitate away from it because they see hypocrisies of religious people and they question a gods intentions, because they feel like they are good people yet are getting screwed by some loving god. 

Later in life, some people go back to religion for the reason you suggest in your question, fear of the unknown.  They probably subconsciously figure, what have they got to lose.  They're going to die and they look at religion like it is insurance they can collect on when they are dead.  

They aren't going to be able to collect on any other form of insurance they have.

PS: Grundoon isn't necessarily brave, just intelligent.   

Edit: We never really die completely, we simply transform.  The energy that drives you, that verifiable energy that can be measured and keeps your heart beating and electrons sparking, becomes new life in the process of death.  We are all part of that original spark that created the universe.

Source(s): It's what some people do, it's their human nature.
  • Snid

I'm laughing.  You have just stereo typed a whole age group.  From my viewpoint it simply isn't true.  I personally know WAY more younger people who are involved in churches than older people.

We go to a lot of estate sales and we also perform sales for others. I have noticed that most old people do have a lot of religious material in their homes. But in Texas, Christian religion is very prominent. So, I would say yes. But with the new generations coming on, I think it will be less and less in the future. Your religion will be stronger when you are older if you were religious living up to that time. It's just natural.

i dont think its just seniors that do that, others do it too

• Wrong assumption. Older seniors come from a time when religion played a more central part to their live - so they have always been religion. Younger seniors are hardly religious at all - and mostly refute religious doctrine.