James asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 4 weeks ago

What do you deal with in an entry level philosophy course?

Hey! I am currently taking a PHI 101 course in my freshmen year of college so i could have a few tips and info about what goes on during class. My philosophy class is reading oriented, with little homework except reading passages from previous philosophical texts. We read excerpts from Plato, Berger, McIntosh, and other well known philosophers. During class we go over what we read, and tests are specifically essay oriented, as they don't expect to start memorizing vocab at the entry level course, rather enhance the way you think with essay tests. Just hope you have a lenient teacher in case you aren't paying attention in class 24/7!

In the one I took the subject was logic and reason. We spent a lot of time examining fallacies. I only took the one class.

• peter m
      3 weeks agoReport

a reasonable description of philosophy today. But does "the WAY you Think" have a name?  ( & not just "the philosophy WAY"..).  If not could you put that Question to a trusted teacher there?

Logical reasoning.  Valid and invalid arguments

I am self-taught, philosophy has found me graciously speaking.

Totally depends on the school, professor and curriculum, but it pretty much always involves a lot of reading and writing. . Here is a sample syllabus: http://web.csulb.edu/~cwallis/100/

• j153e

It depends on the instructor and curriculum.  A good overview of possible foci is given in Tom Morris' "Philosophy for Dummies" (he was a professor of it at Notre Dame; if you are able to learn the main ideas, that book might be = to what you take from a philosophy intro course; would also suggest Quee Nelson's "The Slightest Philosophy," several books by Louis Pojman, e.g. "Philosophy:  The Quest for Truth." "The Moral Life," and "The Philosophy of Religion," Ben-Ami Scharfstein's "The Philosophers:  Their Lives and the Nature of Their Thought," Paul Johnson's "Intellectuals:  From Marx and Tolstoy to Sartre and Chomsky," and Seraphim Rose's "Nihilism:  The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age").

The class might touch on logic (Godel's Incompleteness theorems, informal and formal fallacies).  This latter is usually helpful because e.g. law case reasoning asks detection of fallacies.

Philosophy covers a lot of ground so there is a lot to choose from.  It depends on who designed the course.  Philosophy once covered pretty much all of academia but these days it is mostly about six central ideas: Epistomology (what is knowledge?), Logic (what constitutes valid reasoning?), Metaphysics (how do we deal with things that are real but we can't see or touch?), Ethics (what is morality and where does it come from?), Aesthetics (what is beauty and does it have value?) and Political Philosophy (how should we humans govern ourselves?).  A good entry level course should give you an introduction into all of those but some people choose to focus on some areas more than others.  Some people even include religion in philosophy but I wouldn't.