Don't you feel sorry for kids who were raised by single mothers? What a boring family! No father! That's sad! Who will protect the family?

Who will make them feel safe? Who fixes things that get broken around the house? Mothers don't do that! Fathers do that.

• A.J.

We can discuss statistics and generalities, but situations vary a lot. There are kids whose parents are married and living together all in one family and arguing so much that those kids are in worse shape than if they had no parents at all. There are very capable mothers and very incapable fathers and the other way around.

My female cousin, a college provost and professor, and her female spouse, who writes books and has worked for the United Nations adopted a daughter and they are a very happy and complete family. They renovated and upgraded a brownstone townhouse apartment in Brooklyn together.

I agree that many single mothers are living in poverty with kids in gangs and with felony criminal records before their 18th birthday. There is an overall problem, but sweeping generalizations don't describe it well. There are many unstable homes, financially and emotionally.

It is still better than having an abusive father or one who simply does not care about his children. 

• martin

Single mothers have it tough. Usually they find workers who can come and repair things and be gentlemen. Also, family and friends help out.

• PAMELA

I was a single mother after i got divorced in the 1980's, my son got a very good education and is now the CEO of a global company, i did all the decorating in my home, including the electrics, i read up on it and then did it! i worked, got my son good child care, he has always had good male role models, from uncles to family friends, he has missed out on nothing, he does not have a close relationship with his father who lives abroad. And by the way, many men cannot do things around the home, that is what builders and decorators, plumbers are for!

• Mark

I never think about it.  I had a father in the house, but my MOTHER "protected" the family, even going so far as to threaten my boss (I was 13 and had a paper route) with a frying pan because he tried to make me stay home when the family was going to the Coast for the weekend.

I don't really think about them to be honest.

What I will say on this issue is that a good mother and father are needed to give children the best chance in life. It's said that a mother raises her children and a father teaches them how to be adults.

I'm gay coz I had no father according to my dad's family. 

• A.J.
      1 month agoReport

Well, people say whatever they want, but it doesn't make it true. Your dad's family isn't very smart.