Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 4 weeks ago

Are landlords notorious for being deadbeats?

I am a painter. I decided to go out on my own more because I work as a sub-contractor for another company

Tuesday, October 1, 2019 I have to paint two apartments, both one bedrooms by Friday, October 4, 2019. They are in rough shape. Patching holes, fixing tape that has come loose, even some skim coating was needed. I work 12-14 hours per day and get done early Thursday night. My helper came in 12 hours per day as well.

I did this work very cheap. It was supposed to be $1,100 per apartment using Valspar 4000. I went up a grade to Valspar 2000 for no extra charge. That cost me about $60. Instead of $2,200 for both apartments, we had agreed on $2,000. I had to pay my helper $468. I had about $500 in paint and supplies. I was only making about $23 per hour myself, which is sort of low. I took a $400 deposit. $1,600 due in 10 days. 38 days later, not a penny. Doesn t return calls. I m ready to take him to court.I have signed work orders, before and after photos. Signed acceptance of a completed job.

Can I expect more of this in the future? As a landlord, do you honestly pay your bills, on time? The work was faster than promised and without defects. Why stiff me? Thanks.

• DEBS

You'll find deadbeats regardless of whether they are landlords or not.  He probably has 100 excuses, but none of them matter.  Keep your records in order.  Take him to court. 

• James

Landlords are generally resourceful hardworking people (which is why they can afford to buy and renovate multiple properties) with at least some friendly concern for other people in general (which is why they rent these homes to the public).

No, they are not notorious for being deadbeats.  Why would we know why he stiffed you?  File a lien and sue him.

yes, i haven't seen my landlord for years. He left to get milk and that was the last time i saw him. i miss him everyday.

Yup...…………… ...

Not the ones I rented from.

• Mark

Before going to court, can you put a Contractor's Lien on the property?  That will get his attention.

Landlords are not inherently any more dishonest than anyone else.

Yes you can expect more of this.   Part of being self-employed is being stiffed from time to time.   Minimize risk by charging a larger deposit and try to develop repeat customers.   

Unfortunately, this is very common in trollsville.

I always did, but I rarely contracted out. Painting I did myself. It's not fair to paint all landlords with the same deadbeat brush. It's like saying all painters do a lousy job based on one lousy experience.