ni asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 4 weeks ago

Are teachers allowed to touch students?

Not in a sexual way. I mean, for example, if a student starts crying can the teacher give them a hug? Or like give high fives and stuff?

• 1 week ago

I don't see why high 5 is a problem. Hugs maybe no. Also, would you accept a high 5 from a neighbor? Then what is it about being a teacher that she can't give you a high 5? I don't get it. 

Whoa! Definitely not.  Doesn't matter if it's sexual or not, if it's high fives or whatever you want to call it, it is not allowed period.  It would even be awkward for a teacher to touch a student's things.. like their book bag or coat or paper, even with permission.  You are there to teach, not touch.

Only if they're pummeling them into the ground to administer "discipline."

These days a teacher has to be extremely careful. They should most certainly NEVER 'hug' a student if they are alone with them. However a 'high five' is a very different matter and it's hard to see how anyone could complain about one.

That somewhat depends on the age of the students. Young students love to get hugs, and there's no problem with that. Teachers can touch students if they need to stop them from attacking another student, or if the student is being really disruptive, They can of course give a high five- that's not sexual. High school teachers that I know are very careful- it's too common for a student to get a crush on a teacher, then get mad when it's not reciprocated, and accuse the teacher of sexual assault. 

Different school districts have different policies, but generally, yes, hugs and high-fives are allowed.  I'm a public school official and I've seen plenty of teachers and school staff members hug students, or give them high-fives, or pat them on the head, or hold their hand... and vice versa.  I've had students give me hugs, hold my hand, etc.

Obviously, the student's consent is required.  If the student doesn't want a hug, you can't hug him/her.  If (s)he doesn't want his/her hand held, you don't hold it.  I don't see any problem with this.

• zipper

The high five is OK, a hug mite not be so OK, Unless the student is physically hurt and needs to be held until help arrives! That part is touchy!

If teachers want to touch the students in a sexual way, get the students in a sport uniform then they can slap their butts. If they’re not wearing a sport uniform then a handshake or a high five. 

• Nancy

Allowed, yes, so long as it is neither sexual nor corporal punishment.  But a teacher must proceed with caution.  Sexual harassment is in the eye of the receiver.  For this reason, many teachers refrain from ever touching students unless it's handshake or a high-five initiated by the student.  It's not just with teachers.  That's how it goes in every business/professional setting, not just schools.

• kelvin

of course they can