Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 1 month ago

Help! Accenditly ran a red light!?

Hello,

I was coming home from work after it was dark out after a long night. I dosed off and didn't reliaze the light had turned red. I was already halfway in the intersection and had to go to prevent a accident from occuring. I didn't get pulled over but am freaking out cause i am not sure if a red light camera caught me. I live in a pretty small town but am freaking out. What do I do? Attaches is the picture but am not sure if it is a red light camera. 

A small town in Minnesota. 

• Edna

Most small towns can't afford to install red light cameras. If your small town had contracted to install a red light camera, you would have heard about it. That looks like a traffic monitor that's installed at an intersection in order to count the number of cars that pass through the intersection during certain hours of the day or night; or is used by emergency vehicle to signal the lights at the intersection to change in their favor.  

If it was a red light camera, you'll get a traffic citation in the mail in a few days.

1) It's spelled ACCIDENTALLY.  (FAIL)

2) The law is the law and you have no excuse for your big screw up (FAIL)

3) Doesn't matter if you live in a big city or small town. The penalty is the same (FAIL) 

• Scott

That's not a red light camera. Do your sleeping in bed, not behind the wheel of your car.

• Edna
      2 weeks agoReport

That's not a red light camera - it's  a traffic monitor that counts the no. of cars that pass through an intersection at a given time of day. A red light camera isn't mounted above a traffic light. It's a big box mounted  high on a pole beside an intersection & it has a camera lens on it. 

That was no accident, that was downright dangerous.

Now that you have woken up and are 'freaking out' the worst that can happen is you get a ticket in the post which will cost you $85 or so. Far less than the possible consequences if someone had been crossing the junction.

• Ron

Your small town can't afford red light cameras. If for some reason they had contracted to put one in you can bet everyone would know about it. In any case, that is a sensor that emergency vehicles use to change the lights in their favor

• martin

Courts are reluctant to enforce camera tickets because of the equipment defects that are possible. If they do enforce it, it may be a blessing in disguise because you could have been killed or killed someone else for falling asleep.

Well, seeing as this is in  Pregnancy & Parenting>Pregnancy, you could tell them your husband was rushing you to hospital cuz your water broke.