What is the National Guard, and is it a good fit for me?

I'm a studying to become a teacher currently, but I want something more I suppose. Something that I can be proud that I'm apart of. 

Given that I'm studying to become a teacher, I'm good with people and communications, and I want to help people, would you suggest the National Guard to me? Is there a specific job that would be good for my set of skills (writing, communications, organization skills, etc.)?

I'm also not 100% sure how the National Guard works. I've been told it's a one weekend, once a month thing, is that true? Is there more to it than that? Is there basic training involved? How about deployment? Of course I would prefer not to be deployed because I do hope to become a teacher within the next 4 years, but a short deployment wouldn't bother me much.

Thank you for your advice and comments!

• DON W

Be aware that the National Guard is a major commitment of time and energy, and like most other military organizations, there's no guarantee that you'll end up in the job specialty that you prefer.  You also will need to be in very good shape, and stay that way, and stay drug free.  The pay, while useful, isn't enough to live on.  

But, you will be helping your community, and the NG commitments (such as weekends and summer duty), would likely coordinate well with your teaching schedule, since most teachers don't work summers or weekends.

Why not speak to a recruiter and see if it fits what you are looking for?