With Brexit coming soon, are European immigrants in the UK leaving ? why or why not?

all those Eastern European immigrants have to leave or they dont want to stay now ? why?

BTW, one of the biggest complaints by British people about being part of the EU was all the Eastern European immigrants coming over and competing with British people for jobs and a decent pay rate?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They're not leaving unless they want to, because all EU citizens already here legally are being allowed to stay   It just wouldn't be right to kick them out, and you bet all the other EU countries would do the same to British citizens living there if we did.  It wasn't their fault we voted to end "freedom of movement", was it?

And to make sure they have proof of being allowed to stay, they can get a free visa under the EU Settlement Scheme so whenever they travel around, they can be sure of being allowed home.  (The government got that badly wrong in the past with inviting people from the Caribbean to come and work without giving them any documentation, and they don't want to do that again!  Look up "Windrush scandal".)

Yes, I am well aware of the big complaint and it's a big reason why people voted to leave the EU.  If and when Brexit actually happens, any future intending immigrants will have to apply for a visa and face being refused.

This is not a travel question and belongs under Government.

• alan P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It would be crazy to ask all EU citizens to leave the UK after Brexit and for all UK citizens in the EU to return "home"

• 1 month ago

Some are; they've been made to feel unwelcome.

Some aren't - they've made the UK their home (some have been here for decades, are part of families, have jobs etc)

• 1 month ago

No reason for most of them to leave. After Brexit they can stay in the UK as

British people living in the EU can remain.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Ludwig
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes, there is a huge mass of migrants from Eastern Europe camped along the motorway verges on all routes from the North of England, Wales, Scotland etc. The 'March of Sorrows' as it has been called, looks like something out of the refugee treks at the end of WW2. As these people converge on the channel ports, social services and basic civil operations are breaking down in counties such as Kent and Norfolk where the exit ports are, and it may be necessary for the UN to step in with emergency accomodation and food drops.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

That will depend on if the EU citizens have followed the UK laws and are 'settled' or not, if they are embrassing life in the UK or just came to  the UK with their dozens of kids to get free housing, free healthcare and claiming benefits. The UK Government has been more than fair with EU citizens in so far as telling them how they stand when the UK leaves while many other EU countries where UK citizens have made a new life,set up business and built houses have made life very difficult for them, some threatening them that they have to give up their British citizenship and apply for that EU countries citizenship, threatened to take away their businesses etc

• Jon
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Try moving the question to under 'Politics': this is the travel section. 

• Leo
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Brexit has been "coming soon" for over 3 years.

• 1 month ago

The zenith of their presence was in about 2011.   They've been drifting back ever since, mainly because their own countries have improved.  The ones who remained did so because they've got British partners or landed really good jobs.

• 1 month agoReport

i dont know, i think i would care more about them undercutting my standard wage and putting me and my self employment out of business

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I dont think they really planned to stay anyway. they just come over to suck money out of the economy

• bluebellbkk
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

Many have settled well, and found good jobs. They live stable lives and are an asset to our country. And yes, I am a 'Leaver'.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.