Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesLas Vegas · 4 weeks ago

Do you get a hotel discount if you're alone?

Hotel rates always say "2 to a room" so if I'm alone, do I get any discount?

If they have a king bed, it might be a little cheaper but as far as a normal hotel that's not inclusive, a room is a room no matter how many people (within policy) occupy it. When I'm searching for rooms, I try with 1 person and 2 people and the prices are usually the same. 

In the US mostly I see price per room.  In the room details it will tell max occupancy and extra charges (for extra bed, etc).  

I've noticed that many European places advertise a price per person based on double occupancy, so say for example 50 euro pp (per person based on 2 people) which really would amount to 100 euro for the room.  Many of those same places will offer a "discount" for single travelers.  Rather than have to pay the full 100euro for the room a single traveler may pay less.

That is my limited experience anyway.

Read all the legalese carefully before committing funds to any place in particular.

• Kate

No it just means that the room accommodates a maximum of 2 people.

I have a daughter who is turning 16 next year, her and her friends want to go to blackpool for the ... "You can only make a booking if you are 16 years old or over. If you arrive at the hotel and are under 16 years of age you will not be permitted to stay alone." .... Taxes, fees not included for deals content.

No, you don't get a discount. It's normally one price for up to two people. Actually, on trips where rooms are priced on double occupancy, singles often have to pay extra.

No. Room have a bed that can fit 2 people, max capacity is 2 people. They charge extra for an extra guest but not for not having that extra guest. There’s hotels with offers for single business travelers so you can check it out. Another option for cheaper rates are hostels.  You can also look for air bnb rooms too. 

It's possible, but I wouldn't count on it. It's always worth asking.

• MS

Not usually.  The price is generally the same for one or two guests, but rarely is there a discount for only one.  You would have to check with the individual hotel to see if they offer any such discount.

• Cali d

Depends on hotel.  Check sites that offer rooms.  Some will have a built in number of people at different prices.