Question about Ratchet set?

Hello, I wanted to know if this set was a good set for basic jobs cars ect? I want to buy my boyfriend one for Christmas and not sure where to start lol!!! 

DEWALT DWMT73804 Tough Box Drive Socket Set, 1/4" and 3/8"

Features. Lockable stacking case. Durable transparent lid. Removable internal tray. 72 tooth ratchet. Exceeds ansi specifications. Pieces - 34Set includes. 14 in. Drive 6 point sockets - Sae 5-11 mm.. 38 in. Drive 6 point sockets - Sae 12-19 mm.. 72 tooth quick release 38 in. Drive ratchet. 38 in. Drive drill adapter. 38 in. Drive 3 in. Extension. 38 in. Female to 14 in. Male adapter.. Item weight - 5.09 lbs.

• zipper

That is a strong set and most of what he would need is there. GO for it!  That is a nice gift! Would you buy one for me too?

Honestly, really you want to know?  Then give him "kitty" and let him buy his own tools. He will thank you in the morning. He probably wants 1/2" drive if he is into it as he can break the small junk NO PROBLEM.

,  Better to give him money or a gift card, no,...money because then you can "horn in on what he spends it on(which you will con him on spending on you)

or you will make him feel guilty for the rest of the year.

Mechanic 35+ years who uses a breaker bar. and BREAKS much.

Also did the gf thing and that is just "the expectation".  He knows it.

Yep, that's a good one and after you give it to him tell him to get out there and fix your car! In December you might also want to include a heavy jacket and insulated mechanics gloves.

This would make a better set for auto repair. https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1-2-in-Drive-Co...

The kit should be good. That said, your description is inaccurate. SAE refers to inch based sizing. MM refers to metric. Any given socket can be one or the other, but not both.

• ron h
      1 month agoReport

She got you with that 1/4 and 3/8 drive thing didn't she?  In the US, I dunno where you'd find a "metric-sized" drive.  Everything I've seen is English drive of metric (or English) socket. 

• y

Does he already have any hand tools, ratchets and stuff?  There are lots of decent starter sets out there, such as that one. The difference is how they feel, seat in ones hands. If he already has some, then find out which ones are his favorites, and go with that line. If not, and I know this may not quite be the surprise you are going for. Take him with you to handle some, see what preference he has. Tools, decent ones, can last a lifetime, I still have my first set from 40 years ago. I have some of dads uncles tools from the 1930's and 40's. 

That's a fine all purpose set.  He will be quite satisfied with it.

if they are as good as their cordless tools they will be great 

• Snezzy

It's a better choice than the junk you can find at dollar stores. Real mechanics use Snap-On. The Kobalt tools at Lowe's Home Improvement are generally good.

• glcang
      1 month agoReport

Snap on.?.yeah.take out a loan...

Et Cetera, meaning 'and so on' is abbreviated to ETC.... no such word as ect.