Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 1 week ago

How to stand out as a band?

I am writing in a metal project. I want to gain some tips. How can I stand out? In a music genre that I hate to say, has become over saturated and everybody is doing the same thing, how do you stand out? Slipknot, Metallica, Ghost, rammstein, disturbed, babymetal, what do these bands have that make them so different when for the most part there are so many bands that are similar to them?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Andrew
    Lv 7
    1 week ago
    Best answer

There's a difference between "standing out" and "being respected as musicians." Many of the more popular bands are far less musically talented than some of the lesser known bands, but they might have an image or a gimmick that makes them more successful. Personally, I really don't understand the love for Metallica. They haven't made a decent record in decades. Slipknot are a very average band - they're capable musicians, but nothing to write home about. And Ghost have a few good songs to their credit, but are not particularly exceptional. Several factors go into whether or not a band can manage to become popular - being seen as a cut above the rest in whatever local scene they get their start in (which all three of the bands you've mentioned have managed to do), appealing to more than one particular group of people (which all of the bands you've mentioned have managed to do), and being afforded the opportunity to reach as wide an audience as possible (which all of the bands you've mentioned have managed to do.) Be the best around, gain fans from several scenes, get your name out there so that people who have never heard your music have heard of you. That's how a band makes it in the metal scene. 

• 1 week ago

Don't get caught into stereotypes. Don't be a metal band for the sake of making metal music, that shouldn't be your objective. Good luck

• 1 week ago

Produce quality music like bands in the 80's and 90's.

• 1 week ago

"has become over saturated and everybody is doing the same thing, how do you stand out?"

Simple dude, dont do the same thing as everybody else. 

Bring something new to the metal foray these days. And do realize, that that is not going to be an easy task, as almost every idea that can be come up with in metal, has be come up with. 

Let me give you an example of some ideas that may seem fresh and new, but really arent:

Trap Metal - Its been done, see Techno Animal on their last album "Brotherhood Of The Bomb"

Technical Death Metal at insanely high speeds - Its been done, see Kataklysm "Sorcery Mystical Gate Of Reincarnation" and "Temple Of Knowledge"

Progressive Death Metal - See anything by Opeth, Athiest, and Death. 

Rap Metal - See Rage Against The Machine and Anthrax

mixing Heavy Metal with other genres in 1 song - See Mr. Bungle, Faxed Head, and Solefald

Heavy Metal mixed with classical melodies - Mercyful Fate, King Diamond, Ozzy, and to a lesser extent, the Scorpions. 

Heavy Metal mixed with Goth Rock - See Type O Negative, Paradise Lost, Anathema, My Dying Bride, Katatonia, and Tiamat

Heavy Metal mixed with pure noise - See Ion Dissonance, .meth, and Destroyer Destroyer. 

Heavy Metal mixed with punk (The RIGHT way. F1CK METALCORE) - Discharge "Hear Nothing See Nothing Say Nothing"

Heavy Metal played slowly - Shape Of Despair, Evoken, Cathedral, and Anathema

Heavy Metal played quickly - Anal Cvnt, Napalm Death, Cryptopsy, and Brutal Truth

Heavy Metal played quickly with high proficiency - Destruction, Megadeth, Slayer, and Overkill

Heavy Metal played slowly with high proficiency - Solitude Aeturnus, Candlemass, and Trouble

Heavy Metal played by ethnicities other than white people - Living Colour, Fishbone, Sarcofago, Brujeria, and Nervecell. 

Heavy Metal played by women - Girlschool and L7

Heavy Metal played by people who reject the Metal label - Soundgarden, Green River, Helmet, and Converge

Pop Metal - Night Ranger, Van Halen, Scorpions (Blackout and after), and Def Leppard

Heavy Metal with instruments tuned 1 step below Drop B - Meshuggah and Ion Dissonance

Heavy Metal with songs which last an hour and with intros which last 17 minutes - Sleep and Boris

Black Metal - Mayhem, Darkthrone, Emperor, Enslaved, Dimmu Borgir, and Satyricon. Nuff said. 

Source(s): nothing
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 week ago

slipknot, babymetal, ghost- have an engaging and original stage show

metallica, rammstein, disturbed- built a loyal audience early before there were a lot of bands doing that kind of thing

• Kim
    Lv 6
    1 week ago

Networking positive people?

• 1 week ago

Maybe In A Contest?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.