:) asked in PetsDogs · 12 months ago

Thoughts on pit bulls?

I’ve known a lot of pit bulls, none of them were mine. I’ve only been bitten once but the dog was afraid, I’ve been growled at by another but I’ve never actually seen an aggressive pit bull. What are your thoughts on these “dangerous” dogs?

I’m not planning on getting a pit bull since i have a pit bull mix and mu mom doesn’t want another dog right now. I’m just curious about how people feel about pit bulls 

• steve

I wouldn't have one, I know a few who are lovely dogs and soft and playful but the aggression is never far from the surface.

I know a dogs behaviour is governed by how they were trained and brought up but Pit bulls are a fighting breed so the underlying aggression is inbred.

My sister lives in Thailand and her friends have an American Pit bull. It is the softest dog you could meet and just loves to play. The husband has moved back to UK through work but the girl has to remain in Thailand as the dog is on UK's banned list of dangerous dog breeds.

I know if they are correctly trained they are wonderful but as I say the aggression is never far from the surface so I would never have one.

Wonderful dogs 

MY thoughts?

They're dogs, and like ANY dog they can be mishandled and misbred.

Source(s): A non biased point of view.

I don't have "thoughts" I have FACTS. Over 70% of DEATHS by dog attack are by Pit Bulls aka bully breed mutts.

In MY State you cannot get homeowners insurance with a pit bull in the house.

My stepdaughter has one, and she's a sweet and gentle dog.  I have never seen any aggressive behavior from her.  My sister has had the same experience.

My neighbor has a GSD which is eventually going to harm someone.

A chihuahua is more likely to attack you than an American pit bull terrier.

However, a chichuahua isn't then going to knock you down and bite through your femoral artery.

Also, it's a not-so-secret secret that pit bulls kill other people's pets.

If you're getting a dog, get some other breed.

Honestly, I'd never want to own one.  Most of them are poorly bred and have very unstable temperaments.  Not all, but MANY.  Just a few days ago a Pit mauled and killed a 4 year old child in a City that's less than 2 miles from my house.  The story was heart breaking.  A family decide to do a favor for a friend and dog sit their Pit because some sort of emergency came up.  The dog have never shown any aggression in the past.  In the blink of an eye, this dog attacked this 4 year old child.  The Mother stabbed the dog while another 9 year old in the house called 911. Even after the Police arrived the dog managed to get out of the house and run.  It was then captured 2 blocks away and taken to a local Vet to be immediately euthanized.  Besides the horrible grief of loosing a child to something as horrific as this, can you just imagine how the owner of that dog would feel knowing THEIR DOG killed a friend's 4 year old child?  Just in case you want to look this up, it happened in Hazel Park, Michigan just a few days ago.  That being said, ANY dog could end up to be dangerous, depending on the situation and the true core temperament and genetics of any given dog, but the majority of situations like I mentioned DO involve Pit Bulls or Pit mixes.

• y

As a kid growing up I was chased and bit more then once, never by a pit though. German shepherd, collie, poodle, and another one or two that I don't know what they were.  Shepherd broke off it's chain, the collie was always wandering the neighbor hood and usually left us alone, until close to his end anyways.Another lived up the street and got out, another lived across the street and had some sort of mental stability issues. One never knew which dog was out. The poodles were my aunts and had a history of biting. Never a pit bull, but by the time they become popular, i was already terrified.

They need to be carefully controlled by their owners because they tend to attack at random times. They jump over the fence and attack people in the street. They often bite the faces off children. Once they have their jaws around a child's neck they won't let go and have to be beaten and even shot to get them off. When people complain the owners say that the dog is a good dog and it hasn't mutilated children before. It's a good dog really.

• Mark

I lke dgs, and even pitt bulls, but I would not like to haveone... I am more into collie or German Shepards.