why in English a C before a K except as a first letter?

Update:

Why in English many times a C before a K?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 year ago

English is a mongrel language . There is no explanation necessary..it just is that way.

• Marco
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

Because otherwise the English language has "x" which would replace a kc combination in certain other languages. 

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

Because the origin of English "ck" words are French and German words where the French word ends in "c" and the German words ends in "ch". The"k" was added in French words and the "h" in German words was dropped and replaced with a "k" somewhere along the way. Why? I don't know.

• klypos
    Lv 6
    1 year ago

You might get a better response if you gave some examples.I thought about this, and I decided that where K stands alone, the words are mostly of Scandinavian origin. Where C+K occurs the implication is that the purpose is to avoid mispronunciation, eg. the word "shock" is pronounced exactly as the French word "choc".

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 year ago

No cheating with Google, but am I alone in not being able to think of a single word that starts with KC?

• 1 year ago

It helps reach the minimum character number when users tell other users to F*** off here?

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

This is down to the evolution of the English language in Britain, with Norse, Latin and German influences being predominant. It gives a hard sound which is not altered by the addition of a vowel sometimes seen in older spellings eg Lacke.

• User
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

Not so.

- lake

- biker

- rekindle

etc.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

DRUNK FurBall should be along momentarily 

to tell you everything you need to know.

• Anonymous
    1 year ago

ask the Queen she might know 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.