Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 3 weeks ago

What do we bake cookies but cook bacon?

I do not actually care about this question. My friend wanted me to ask though

because thats just the way it issssssssssssss

I love cookies............

I've baked bacon,that is the way I always make it, but never fried a cookie.

• liza3 weeks agoReport

i m with u http://bit.ly/33HGIoi

I bake bacon instead of frying it.

• denise

BAKING IS JUST A DIFFERENT WORD FOR COOKING.

Theres lots of different words and methods of cooking ; -

FRYING, BOILING, GRILLING, BROILLING, ROASTING, POACHING, SMOKING, CASSEROLING, STEWING?

• Clive

Same as last time you asked.

To answer your grammar question, baking is an example of a specific cooking method just like sauteing, poaching or microwaving. Cookies are generally baked in the oven so "bake" is the default verb. If pan-frying or poaching cookies was as common as baking them is, we would "cook" cookies - because "cook" doesn't specify any particular cooking method.

Bacon is commonly pan-fried, baked or microwaved. Therefore people often say "cook" bacon because it encompasses all the possible cooking methods. However, if someone wants to use more specific language, they can and do say they are going to "bake" bacon, "fry" bacon or "microwave" bacon.

The noun bacon is from a middle English word for back which is where the better quality cut of the pig comes from. It has nothing to do with the verb bake.

• CB

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways. - Sorry, Steve Wright has done this comic bit to death.

• Nancy

The interrogative for that question is "why," not "what."