August
Lv 5
August asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 1 month ago

Just why is the UK contributing approx £35b a year?

and get a little back to pay for potholes

The admin' fees to run the EC is £7b.

Croatia,Bulgaria+Cyprus pay in less but get more back

Can't the UK gov' spend its own money more responsibly ?

Update:

I am a British taxpayer and i detest the EU giving £millions to Pakistan to improve their sewerage system. They were on the brink of war with india-who would they side with?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Huh?
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago
    Best answer

We don't, it's roughly £20 billion before the rebate and structural and other grants back to the UK are taken into account. The net contribution is more like £11 billion.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsec...

To compare, total government spending last year was £865 billion, so EU contribs are about 4.65 days' worth of government expenditure. Relative peanuts considering the benefits it brings.

• 4 weeks ago

It's £9 billion, the contribution. Britain benefits to the tune of £35 billion from the EU. So you're saying stop swapping £9bn for £35bn, you need maths tuition.

• 4 weeks ago

payments are as per the capacity and not as per services received. food stamps are free and not paid by beneficiary

• 4 weeks ago

As Jack said, plus major contributions for improving the infrastructure. See the big notices all along the Heads of the Valley road over the last few years. I hope they leave it half dug up when we are out.

Every time a Leaver speaks, they show their ignorance.

• Jack H
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

I remember driving around the North East in the late seventies when every town had a couple of signs proclaiming projects funded by the European Union, roads, industrial estates, bridges etc., hundreds of them...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 weeks ago

They know we are a bunch of mugs , and are good at wasting money .

• Jack H
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The UK pays around 8 bn. Per year, dummy... ohh and it gets 65% of that straight back. In subsidies for farming, deprived areas, educational subsidy and many other areas, trading benefits of being in the EU bring in approx 180bn. In trade too, but, you want to throw it away because they're foreigners, you sad twatt...

• Jack H
      Lv 7
      4 weeks agoReport

August, you are brainwashed by the coterie who want to avoid the tax avoidance and money transfer regulations coming through the EU over the next two years...

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Subs are according to GDP. Germany pays the most followed by France then the UK. One of the reasons the EU is sorry about losing UK membership. They get a lot back in rebates going to deprived areas like Scotland.

• Salty dog
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

Sorry are they? Well,that's a new one. We asked for a unicorn deal and they gave us a pit pony,yea they must be really p-issoff about our leaving.

• 1 month ago

Stupidity on the part of politicians.

• 1 month ago

"Croatia,Bulgaria+Cyprus pay in less but get more back" Wrong the UK ranks as number three from the bottom when it comes to paying EU contributions. To be exact £13 per capita.

The republic of Ireland pays £38 per capita, the Danes pay £120 per capita and the Germans pay a comparative similar contribution to that of the Danes but, all the named countries have higher GDPs than the UK. that means they are wealthier. The UK is a country that lives on loans.

"Can't the UK gov' spend its own money more responsibly" It's not the ´gov´ money it's the tax payers money.

And here we have a problem, the Tories have always taxed the masses so that they could give tax refunds to the privileged. That's way the NHS (soon to become an American institution) has always been under-founded. The principal being, it's better NOT to tax the rich, than give a decent health service to the lesser fortunate.

You should stop reading the Daily Wail.

• Salty dog
      Lv 6
      4 weeks agoReport

Catrin 1.There is one simple reason why we will never be in the € zone: We are all far to much in debt and that disqualifies us from being a € zone member. But have no fear, Bozo is doing his best to turn the UK into a $ zone.

• 1 month ago

Why would the UK government spend it anymore responsibly than another? I’ve seen parliament, and I doubt your premise.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.