Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsEngagements & Weddings · 3 weeks ago

What type of doctor has the worst hours? ?

So I’m a lesbian but my family is Indian and quite traditional so here’s the plan: 

I’m gonna marry a nice Indian doctor and have a good traditional wedding and everything, but while he’s working long hours I’ll cheat on him with a hot white girl that looks like Margot Robbie. I need to know what type of doctor gets paid a lot and works terrible long hours. Do cardiologists work long hours? 

The joke in medical schools is "If you want a personal life become a dermatologist but if you don't become an OB/GYN". The former will have a very predictable schedule while the latter will be prone to being called in whenever a patient goes into labor. However if you want long hours that are predictable (so he doesn't catch you and your imaginary Margot Robbie together) you'll go with someone who works in an ER. Do know though that Indian families stick together and they're not stupid. Even if he's a chump his parents will find a way to make sure you're left destitute when he divorces you. It would really be better to just find a lesbian MD and live and honest (although gold-digging) life.

• Kelly

My husband is a Cardiologist and works about 70 hours a week. He works late some days and when he's on-call he may need to go back to work depending on a patients situation. His overall schedule though depends on his patient load. He's home around 7 most days. There's also different types of Cardiologists, he's an interventional cardiologist so a lot of his patient are in emergency situations and need pacemakers or stents put in. Some days work is lighter than others.

My MIL is an OB/GYN... they have the worst hours of any type of doctor because you never know when baby is going to come. She's delivered about 15,000 babies. She's delivered babies on special occasions, birthdays, holidays, weekends, middle of the night, middle of the day, early in the morning, on an airplane once. She lives/practices in Houston and Dallas and she's even delivered babies during hurricane's at makeshift hospitals and shelters.

Next to an OB/GYN ... trauma & general surgeons have the worst schedules.

None of them really have an optimal schedule. Before my husband, I dated a plastic surgeon and he had a cushy mostly 8-5 schedule but he was on-call 4 days a week every week. He hardly had to go back into work, his on-call was mostly consulting with other doctors for injuries or patients that had procedures who were having some issues he'd call them with suggestions.

I think like surgeons or like something

dermatologists.