Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 1 month ago

Renter asks for rent+deposit since he's now out of state... fishy?

I'll try to keep it short...

I was sent pictures & told I could drive by the house to take a look but that he moved out of state so is not there to show me.

Because of that, he's asking that I send the rent & deposit, *then* he will send the keys and lease paperwork... this alone seems odd but to add:

I did drive by the house and there was a man in the backyard. Granted, this house has two addresses on the front, so it could make sense, but the fact that it wasn't mentioned beforehand seems a little odd to me.

He said he's open for suggestions since I expressed my concerns so my question is, do you think that's is too fishy or do you have any other suggestions?

Sounds like a scam...

• zipper

SOUNDS like a possible scam operation. Run the other way, NOW!

Very much a scam.

• R P

I stopped reading when you said the so-called landlord wants the money before sending you a lease.

That person does not own the property and is attempting to SCAM you out of your money. You were wise to question the situation.

Run away from this one as fast as possible. Find a place that you can actually view & decide if you want to rent there.

Don't ever rent a property without viewing it in person.

Wait until he's back. And ask in the meantime for a copy of the lease to review.

• SCATTY c
      4 weeks agoReport

'Wait until he's back'... this person will NEVER be back.. He could easily be an African sat in a dirty Internet cafe in Nigeria and never been to USA.. There is NO lease & no property to rent

• Judy

Find somewhere else to rent, forget about this one.

People do own homes in other states than which they live and people have more than one home and spend time at each. If you don't know how to look up the owner, go and knock on the door. Ask the person who answers if he owns it, is renting - enough to determine whether the ad is legit.

Friend I'll be quite honest here I would never ever enter a rental agreement through the mail. You can politely tell the person that's the landlord that you will do a rental agreement through a local representative or a lawyer but you don't do rental agreements through the mail.

That's an old scam.