Zach asked in PetsCats · 4 weeks ago

Why does my cat have bold spots? ?

I got this kitten about a month ago and he started developing bald spots. As time has gone by they have only gotten worse (above eye, ears, mouth, tail, etc). The main thing I am concerned about is my year old cat who now has them as well (above eye, on chin). Sometimes they open like scabs. I will show a picture below. I would also like to point out we have always thought our other cat might have fleas bc of multiple tapeworm incidences. My main concern is that it would be ringworms. The kitten has also had problems in the past before we got him such a discharge out one eye that hadn’t really be handled. If anyone knows anything it would be helpful. Both are males, spayed, 1 year tuxedo and the new one is 4 months now and is an orange tabby. No tapeworms from either at all but over grooming for sure. Could it possibly be an increase of fleas that led to the patches/scabs on my 1 year old bc he has never had any issues like this or anything else aside from tapeworms and I’ve had him since nearly birth. Why would he just now start showing these symptoms after this cat has been around him? Picture of the 4 month tabby below Please help 

Looks to be ringworm, your Vet will do a skin scrape and tell you for sure. Humans can get this, I did as a child from our cat, it takes a while to get rid of, get it to your Vet. Good Luck!

• Ocimom

Ringworm, mange (funguses) are likely the cause - both cats will need to see a vet to determine what you need to do.

• Raven

It's ringworm, highly contagious even to people. Now your other cat has it too. It cannot be cured without special medicine that you get at the vet. I would get on this quickly. Ringworm takes about 6 to 8 weeks to get rid of, you'll have to get two cultures done at the vet. It's curable but it's a long process. Sorry for the bad news...

this is not overgrooming / your cat can not lick himself above eye. it is probably a ringworm, u should show your cat to a vet, like what is wrong with u

I'd say there's a good chance it's mange. Congratulations. Failing to get the kitten treated in a timely manner means it will now cost you twice as much to get two cats treated. And they definitely need treatment or they will live miserable lives.

Not to cause uneccesary worry or anything but I think your cat is reaching its final days.

Ye kitty dead bro

You seriously don't know the difference between BALD and bold????

Geezus that looks horrible. Why the Hell haven't you gotten this kitten and cat to a VET? It could be ringworm, mange any number of things. You didn't bother to get this kitten disease tested so it also could have given your cat Feline Leukemia and/or FIV. Good job!

If your answer is going to be "I can't afford" a vet don't bother. Just take both animals to a no-kill shelter and surrender them IMMEDIATELY.

• Laura

Your kitten has a skin infection, and it has spread to your other cat as well.

Your kitten has an infection either in their eyes or general upper respiratory system that was never handled either, so the kitten is still sick.

They both need to go to the vet. At the vet you can get proper flea medication. Use this on them monthly so you won't have to worry about fleas or internal parasites again.

At the vet they can figure out what is wrong with your cats and can treat them properly. We are not vets and we do not have access to the prescription medications your cats need. Get them to the vet.

It's quite possible that it's mange and you need to get some mange medicine