Strong tape/adhesive that won't damage car paint and is (semi) water resistant?

This Christmas time, I and a few of my friends have decided to spread holiday cheer by attaching Christmas lights to our cars and driving around town.

I am looking for a tape that can safely hold down the lights (last thing I want is the lights to fall off and become a safety concern), but also a tape that won't damage our paint.I live in Washington State, and rain is around every corner. We are going to try to plan this event for a day when it isn't raining, but just in case I would like to find a safe adhesive that will also not fall off when getting wet.

Thank you for helping me spread holiday cheer.

• don r

Clear packing tape like the post office uses will to the job.

Tape IS NOT what you should be using. In fact ADHESIVE is not what you should be using. You want to mechanically secure the lights.

Note: In MANY, if not MOST jurisdictions, driving with such lights on is illegal.

• Dimo

Gaffer: the chief electrician in a motion-picture or television production unit

One of his job is to run the cables around the set. Need to tape the wires down so people will not kick them.

Cannot make a mess of the set. Hence:

Gaffers Tape: The primary difference between gaffer tape and duct tape is the adhesive residue left behind when the tape is removed. Gaffers tape is designed to be removed residue free to the cord and flooring it was adhered to.