Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 month ago

Am I right to be mad at my friend for putting his cat to sleep, because he didnt want to spend the money on her?

So, my friend had a cat, which I believe was around 15. A while ago he said it had a thyroid problem, and that he had to give it pills everyday, and then shortly after that the cat had diabetes. He said he was going to have to give her shots everyday or something. I was just talking to him on playstation. He said he went, and had his cat put to sleep. He said that she lived a long life, and that her issues were getting expensive, so he went, and had her put down. Isnt that kind of messed up? Shouldn t he have thought about that day the cat might get old, and get medical issues? I went to his house a week ago, and it seemed fine. I couldnt hardly tell she was an older cat, so I dont think she was in pain ore anything. In which case I wouldnt blame him for putting him down, but because he didnt want to spend the money?

Wow that was very mean of him

No, you shouldn't be mad. I just put down my 10.5 year old cat a couple of months ago for serious health issues, that MAY have been able to be treated but not certain, and his quality of life was not good, and probably would not have improved much. He was too loyal of a companion to let suffer

• Ken S

Yes you are right. She lived a long life? She was 30?

Your pets are a lifetime responsibility and depend on you for survival. If he did a little research the thyroid pills cost about 30 cents each and diabetes in cats if you know what you are doing can be easily treated and cats can go into remission and become diet controlled. As a matter of fact he probably caused the diabetes cause he fed dry food and didn't do research.

People like this are worthless

• Nicholas1 month agoReport

I'll have to disagree with you. A 15 year old cat is 76. Not 30

• GEEGEE

No. Clearly a case of MYOB. He, as her owner, the person best able to assess her condition and the chance for improvement. Or not.

His cat. None of your damn business.

Why is this your business? Did YOU offer to pay the vet bills?

15 is pretty old for a cat. I'm sure this wasn't an easy decision for them to make. You're a really crappy friend to be criticizing them instead of supporting them at this difficult time. Get over yourself. Clearly you've NEVER had a terminally ill pet, have you?

• Ocimom

You can be mad all you want. Your friend felt he didn't have the money to keep spending on the cat. The cat was old and would have increasing medical issues. He did what he felt was right for his situation. Don't judge another person for a tough decision they would need to make.

• PAMELA

That was up to him, i have always had pet insurance, vet bills can be very expensive, and at 15 the cat had lived a long and happy life.

It's better for the cat not to be stuck with a needle everyday then to be stuck with it one single time. That cat doesn't understand that you're saving its life by sticking it with the needle all it knows it that you're sticking it with a needle everyday! Now if it would have been me I would have got a fentanyl patch for human beings put it on the cat's stomach fed my cat giving my cat a good meal and sat there with it and pet it. And keep it comfortable and tell the cat went to sleep cat would never know that there was anything wrong it simply wouldn't wake up.

I don't judge other people. I never have. If you find your friend to be uncaring and callous, then find a new friend.

Any particular reason you think you are in a position to tell other people how to behave?