Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingGrade-Schooler · 4 weeks ago

Would you let your 8 year old son dress as a girl for Halloween?

I'm a divorced mom. My son caught me off guard yesterday when I asked him what he wanted to be for Halloween. He said that he wanted to be a girl.

This surprised me because he has only been interested in stereotypical male costumes before (Dracula, football player, an old man, etc.). When he mentioned it again today and I asked what he wanted to wear, he said You decide.

He is my only child and with his baby face, and his age, he probably would look really cute as a girl. I never thought I might some day be taking him to the girl's section of a store, but I want to be a supportive mom. My concern is how kids in school might treat him, but most of the kids are good kids. 

Should I let him? He thinks it would be fun and maybe I'm overthinking this. 

Also, what should he wear? 

Any advice/ideas would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.  

He dressed as a girl for Halloween and looked so cute in a blonde wig, a little makeup, girl's tshirt, skirt, tights over his boy underwear and flats. While he had fun, he was all boy the next day.  

Yes. I think it would be fun. Take him to the thrift store and find a dress and girl's shoes in his size. You can also find a cheap wig online or at a Halloween store. Since it will get cold, I would also buy him tights to wear to keep his legs warm.

I think you're a good mom.

Yes, I would! I believe that your son is growing up, becoming independent and wants to express himself. Don't be concerned about what other people are going to think, instead allow him to be creative

Get him something cute to wear like an animal costume, then he can be a girl lion or something, wich he'd probably change the gender of depending on his imagination.

• Suzy Q

I really don't see the issue.

He's a boy, not a vampire. Yet you have no issue letting him dress up like Dracula. 

He's a boy, not a professional athlete. Yet you have no issue letting him dress up like a football player. 

He's a boy, not a senior citizen. Yet you have no issue letting him dress up like an old man.

He's a boy, not a girl. And THAT is the line where you get all flustered?

Dressing up as something you're not, is the point of the occasion. Where I live, Halloween isn't a big thing, but we have Carnaval, also a dress-up holiday. At this time, it is not at all uncommon to see men and boys dressed up like women and girls, among many other kinds of costumes.

It's a central idea both holidays have in common: social role inversion. Just for today I am a superhero, a monster, a fairytale character, a policeman, a ghost, a king, a girl. Something impossible, something I fear, something I dream of, something I will never reach, something I am curious to experience for one day, but most of all something I am NOT.

Many cultures have this tradition of role inversion for one holiday a year, dating all the way back (and probably much further) to the ancient Greeks and Romans. Just for today, the civilized let go of social limits, the masters serve the servants, the powerless can do anything, and the monsters should be scared of US. 

Your 8 year old might not be able to put it into words like that, but it sounds to me like he understands the point of Halloween perfectly. He isn't asking for a wardrobe of dresses to wear to school and everybody to call him Lucy. He's asking TO DRESS UP as a girl on a holiday that is ABOUT DRESSING UP. 

As for what he should wear? Has it occurred to ASK him? 

You are 100% over-thinking this, and quite frankly being sexist over it!

It's halloween and he wants to dress up as a girl, not a big deal! To him, its something different to try, for one night out of the year. When I was 11, I dressed up as a girl for halloween (full on wig, dress, bra, heels, etc), to me it was something fun to try, and no, after that I had no interest/desire to be a female.

What can he wear? Dress/skirt, wig (if he has short hair), I wouldn't recommend heels tho lol, purse etc. Let him have fun.

Sure, why wouldn't I?

• Damien

yeah let him, dress as a girl if he likes being pretty, you cant force that out of him, its like forcing a kid to like bananas instead of apples and going against his biological developed taste and likes and dislikes for particular things.And just cause he will dress a girl doesnt mean hell start liking it as conservatives think.Thats as dumb as thinking just cause i eat a fruit ive never eaten before, i will start liking it.

I think it's odd that you think it's odd.

One of my granddaughters went as Spiderman one year. It never occurred to me to worry about it.

• JoyaSee
      4 weeks agoReport

I find it really odd - when my brother and I were young, we played with one another's toys (very few other kids around to play with) and no one cared that he played Barbies or I played cars. We both grew up to be completely unconfused about our gender.