Is a broken A/C and 90 degree apartment for 8+ hours an emergency?

My A/C is set to 80. Around 8pm last night, it reached 86 degrees in my apartment. Did not sleep until 6am, in which it was 88 degrees. When I woke up at 10am, it was 89 degrees. As I'm writing this it's 90 degrees. I already put in a maintenance request but I don't think they will do work on Sundays. Me and my elderly grandaunt cannot sleep or even live here in these conditions and need to know if it will be fixed TODAY... should I call in as a maintenance emergency?

Other notes:I have turned off everything that produces heat.The temperature outside is around 78 during the day and 66 at night.I use blackout curtains.

Sorry, correction to the question. The A/C is not "broken", it is producing air but it is room temperature borderline warm air. It is not cooling at all, I have yet to see the temperature go down, even by 1 degree at any point even at night.

Yes, that is definitely a maintenance emergency, and I do hope you called it in! I had the exact same thing happen in July when it was 85. When the fan is running and circulating air but it's not cool air, as mine also did, it needs a "charge" of freon. Your maintenance is very lax if they did not come same day as you put in a repair request, because when it's that hot out, it's an emergency, especially if you are elderly, have any sort of breathing issues (like asthma), or are unwell in general.

• GTB

Why not open the windows and let the fresh air in? With a low of 66°F at night and high of 78°F during the day, all will be ideal and your energy bill will be more favorable.

• elhigh

It sounds to me like your AC isn't cooling at all. So whether or not the indoor blower is working, the AC is nevertheless malfunctioning.

Causes:

Blocked coils outside. The coils inside the home have an air filter to keep them clear, but the outdoor ones don't, and they can get completely blocked by grass clippings, dust, leaves, even soot from traffic. There are many tutorials on how to do this, Google them.

Fan motor outside failed. Might be the motor, might be the capacitor, might be a blown fuse.

Compressor failed. Again: might be the capacitor, might be a fuse, might just be a cooked compressor. It happens. NOTE: blocked coils can destroy a compressor.

If you are not the property owner, that includes the AC. Don't touch it.

Does it constitute an emergency? Tough call. That depends on how your local renter laws define an emergency, and what constitutes an unreasonable delay in getting HVAC back up and running.

Until your AC is repaired if you can do so, put a fan in one window on the warm side of the apartment, and open a window on the other, preferably cool side (north side in the northern hemisphere, east side if you don't have access to north facing windows). Turn the fan on HIGH so it is blowing out toward the hot side, pulling in from the cool side.

You may find you don't really need HVAC that much. If I can get my house down to below 68 at night, my HVAC may not even come on at all the next day, even when temps get up to about 92.

Good luck with it.

• Tavy

OPEN a window, the air outside is cooler. Buy a fan. How did we manage before AC.

• elhigh
      4 weeks agoReport

We managed great. When the great collapse comes, it'll be people like this that fall first.

If it gets to 66 at night, then the temperature has to come down to that temp. ...not with the A/C running but by opening a window and letting in the cool outside air inside until morning and then shut the windows to keep the cool inside.  That is how we did it before the invention of A/C.  We fanned in cool air from outside inside.

The A/C just recirculates the air in the room so never sucks in outside air.  Opening a window or a door to the outside will allow the cool inside.

It is  not an emergency, not even 120F but now is a good time to cook a turkey.

If is isn't COOLING, the A/C IS 'broken'. Moving air is separate from the A/C itself.

• elhigh
      4 weeks agoReport

In the industry we call anything you do to the air, including moving, filtration, UV treatment, cooling etc. "conditioning." I didn't downvote you, from a layman's POV your answer isn't wrong, but from a pro's standpoint it's off the mark.