Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationSafety · 4 weeks ago

Got into my first car wreck?

I'm 26 and got into a wreck last night.

It was raining at night and it was nasty. I hit a 2018 Subaru outback. He was infront and I was behind, he jerked on his brakes (no one infront of him), I was going atleast 60 MPH, I just jerk on my brakes and swerve in the left lane to make a pass but water got under my tires and I lost control, I tried to gain control and swerve back to the right and that's when I strike the Subaru on the left side. No one is hurt thankfully. Everyone was wearing their seatbelt in my car and their car. How would a insurance company view this? Police was called and a accident report was made. Should I expect my insurance to go up?

Following too closely and driving too fast for conditions.  100% your fault.  Chances are your rates to your insurance will increase.

Congratulations, your first traffic accident happened and everyone survived intact. Welcome to the club. Anyway...

Your insurance company will accept 100% liability for this accident on your behalf, because they know that a rear-end collision is always the fault of whoever did the rear-ending. There is no such thing as a rear-end collision where the vehicle that got hit from behind is at fault, no exceptions. But don't beat yourself up over it, this type of accident happens all the time.

You will definitely have an at-fault accident on your insurance record, no question about that. But what it will cost you in the future depends on many things. What else is on your driving / accident record? Where do you live? Who insures you? How long have you been driving? What, if any, rating protection or accident forgiveness does your insurance contract include?

Believe it or not, there are no international laws governing how auto insurers must factor at-fault accidents into their rating for each policy.

• M.
      2 weeks agoReport

Sounds more like he broadsided the car.

• Edna

It's your fault. You were following too closely and were traveling too fast for the weather conditions. No one can even guess how much your insurance rates are going to go up - IF they go up Some insurance policies have "accident forgiveness" for the first wreck. .

• zipper

HELL YES!  AND UP AND UP ! You had an avoidable accident if you were driving safely!

Dam Subaru drivers

He was stopped, you hit him. Expect your insurance to go up, insurance is based on perceived risk. You have proven to the insurance company you are a bad driver

• JetDoc

The accident is YOUR fault! You were driving too fast for conditions and following too closely. Yes... Your cost for insurance probably will go up.

• Ron

It's irrelevant. Your insurance will or it won't.

• CB

Insurance going up will depend on your insurance carrier and policy. Some carriers have accident forgiveness for one wreck.....

If it wasn’t your fault you should expect your insurance to go up