Billy asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 month ago

how to defend against knife?

I am absolutely scared of knives 

In England many guys get stabbed 

is it rare to get attacked 

Your best course of action is to run if you have an opportunity to rather than trying to defend against a knife.  Doing that takes years of training and also practical experience really and even then it's a toss up as to who will come out the better.

The Department of Justice did a study a number of years back on assault and victims injured and how serious those injuries were in general.  That study included assailants without a weapon as well as with a gun or a knife.  What that study found was that of those moderately injured or seriously injured the percentages were just as high for those involving a knife as they were for those assaults involving a gun.

A few reasons for that were that assaults where a knife was the weapon involved took place up close and personal.  Some of those involving a firearm took place at a somewhat greater distance and then also the assailants ability with the firearm came more into play also as well.  I have found this to also be true in having dealt with situations involving both during my life time and so my advice to you is to stay aware of those around you and to always leave yourself a way out and to run to get away or avoid the situation entirely if you suspect there might be trouble.  In those situations I dealt with it was my job to deal with them but I otherwise employ that thinking and approach today for some of the reasons I mention above.

Well it depends how are you being attacked. So i recommend to take a class of KRav Maga...

1. Run. Save your life is more important.

2. If can't, please find long stick/object/chair. this will keep the knife out from danger range

Escrima/kali training includes knife fighting and bare handed defense against knife. Gabriella Caselus trained in the filipino school while doing Playboy centerfold shoot. couple months later was attacked by knife carrier after car brakedown . womens defense class next week she showed Xrays of attacker with knife twisted into his guts. Escrima sticks, Okinawa Bo or Hanbo have drill for defending against knife, dagger- key is quick strikes against hands, wrists . Bare handed- that means get used to the idea of some blood and watch attackers body, weapons hand, be prepared to shift and twist body, use both hands on weapons wrist, crane school sweeps of attacker arm followed by grip, pull and twist, possible elbow strike. Irish walking stick fighting has training drill for knife- used to be taught in Dublin College, part of young Irish Gentlemans training when Irish Catholics were forbidden to carry swords like english upper class Church of England or Protestants could. SO, for UK a Irish thorn or bamboo cane Penang lawyer with weighted tip or plane iron wood stick, thick soled walking shoes and some Savate training , Pangasan Largo Mano instruction and if you can get away with 'key chain' Kusari you could match weapons skills with knife attacker that might be threatening but otherwise untrained.

• Noah

No one here knows how to defend against a knife let alone can!

Search some self defense videos and practice with a buddy or take a class!

• Kokoro
      4 weeks agoReport

You claim no one on here knows then you stupidly suggest a video or to practice with someone else that is clueless. You are were not the sharpest tool in the shed.

• Paul

try a feint ..like a haymaker and then take him down

u might get sliced on your way in (hopefully not your throat)

but it might be your best chance of survival

Since you are in england, getting a gun is out of the question.

So running is your best option.

Defending against a knife is not easy, you will get sliced or stabbed. And even with proper training its difficult.

edit,

wow that makes two people that are clueless about knife fights, Tell me people that thumbed me down were you ever in a fight or even a knife fight, I highly doubt you were.

wear a stab proof west

Don't make the first move. Let them lunge first. Your first chance maybe your only chance to disarm them. Depending on their lunge get them into an arm lock, then proceed to apply force to the pressure point located around in the inside of the wrist. If you fail the first time, push them away and do the same thing again upon their next lunge, if they try again. However, there's never a problem with fleeing. Finding yourself facing somebody armed is just a disadvantage to you. Self defence in that regard should only come when there's absolutely no chance of escape.

It is very rare to get stabbed in England. I'm 72 and I've never been stabbed once nor have any of my family.