what is the limit of cars you can sell a year in missouri without a dealers license in 2019? I ve seen 4, 6 & 8 but which one is correct?

Why can't you call the Missouri DMV or state government division that licenses automotive dealers and ask them???

My notion is FIVE.

Look it on the Missouri DMV website. I could do it for you but I don't want to.

Ask city hall as they are the ones that give out business licenses.  They are the ones that will pinch you if you sell too many.

Did you check with the Missouri DOR?

Ok I checked out the Missouri Dealer Operating Manual and it says:

Motor Vehicle Dealer: Any person who, for commission or with an intent to make a profit or gain of money or other thing of value, sells, barters, exchanges, leases, or rents with the option to purchase, or who offers or attempts to sell or negotiates the sale of motor vehicles or trailers whether or not the motor vehicles or trailers are owned by such person; provided, however, an individual auctioneer or auction conducted by an auctioneer licensed under to Chapter 343, RSMo, shall not be included within the definition of a motor vehicle dealer. The sale of six or more motor vehicles or trailers in any calendar year are required as evidence that such person is engaged in the motor vehicle business and is eligible for licensure as a motor vehicle dealer under Sections 301.550 to 301.573, RSMo.

• Ron
      4 weeks agoReport

no ****, you can read

• Ron

You apparently haven't seen the official Missouri website

https://dor.mo.gov/motorv/liendeal/documents/Deale...

Very few states have anyone tracking who sells how many cars. I would not worry about it until you are buying & selling over a dozen a year as long as your yard is not an illegal car lot and people complain.

The cost of paying sales taxes on every car can add up so you might want to get a license at some point if you are selling enough cars.

I asked my states dealer regulatory agency what happens if I were to go over and they said they would want me to either get licensed or stop doing it. There are no fines unless someone repeatedly ignores them or something.

I went ahead & became licensed because it got me access to dealer auctions & stuff and that made things easier.

One is correct if you actually have title to it, in your name. Dealers with licenses do not have to transfer titles to the name of the dealership.