Anonymous

New employee that I interviewed and gave the job to has just asked for $500 on his first shift for his dad for some reason 😳😳😳😳 thoughts?

• DON W

Sounds like he's asking for an advance on his salary for some use, real or imaginary. Some employers are willing to give a salary advance to long-standing employees who have been strong performers. It generally would be a mistake to give an advance to a new employee, unless it's for a job-related expense, such as purchasing a uniform.

If you give a brand new employee a salary advance, that might be the last you see of them, and it would be very difficult to recover the money.

• If he needs the money he can go to one of those cash advance places, or ask a friend for some money.

You shouldn't give him the money, he will get the money when he gets payed.

• Judy

Tell him no. Obviously.

• Erik

It's a really bad sign. If he thinks this is appropriate, what else is he going to do?

That this employee is ridiculous.

You have absolutely no responsibility to giver him any money not stipulated by his contract (wages, bonuses, etc). On their first day, they've earned nothing so far.

This would make me question the decision to hire, and I'd keep an eye on him.

• not

He'll have $500 after he earns his paycheck.

• audrey

My thought would be "NO".