Anonymous

New employee that I interviewed and gave the job to has just asked for $500 on his first shift for his dad for some reason 😳😳😳😳 thoughts?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • DON W
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Best answer

Sounds like he's asking for an advance on his salary for some use, real or imaginary. Some employers are willing to give a salary advance to long-standing employees who have been strong performers. It generally would be a mistake to give an advance to a new employee, unless it's for a job-related expense, such as purchasing a uniform.

If you give a brand new employee a salary advance, that might be the last you see of them, and it would be very difficult to recover the money.

• If he needs the money he can go to one of those cash advance places, or ask a friend for some money.

You shouldn't give him the money, he will get the money when he gets payed.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Tell him no. Obviously.

• Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It's a really bad sign. If he thinks this is appropriate, what else is he going to do?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 1 month ago

That this employee is ridiculous.

You have absolutely no responsibility to giver him any money not stipulated by his contract (wages, bonuses, etc). On their first day, they've earned nothing so far.

This would make me question the decision to hire, and I'd keep an eye on him.

• not
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

He'll have $500 after he earns his paycheck.

• audrey
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My thought would be "NO".

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.