nia asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

Mother daughter situation ?

There’s this lady that I call my mom and we have known each other almost 2 years and she’s been just that. Recently she got upset with me and told me to basically only call her by her name not by mom because she needs a break from me and her son. She also went in great detail to tell me that we aren’t mother daughter strong and she was cutting me off.  However later she came back to apologize and say that the way that the message was sent wasn’t the way she meant it and she was responding out of anger. I’ve been trying to move on considering that she apologized genuinely and I can see how hurt she is by it.  We have been smiling and laughing and on good terms trying to work on this especially on my end it’s pretty hard because I believe what’s said out of anger is meant. The other day a question popped in my head to ask her and it was about the situation, I basically asked if I was ever consider her child and if she told her son to stop calling her mom, so I asked her and immediately she becomes mad telling me to let it go. Is it fair for her to want me not to ask questions about the situation? And where should I go from here ? 

• `

This friendship has run its course. It's time to move on.

i would stop calling her mom or she might not want to hang around with you

• lala

I feel sorry for you

but this woman is not a mother

A real mother would have never reject her son and neither you

This woman as plan for her future who not to beautiful

Try to distance yourself slowly from her

MOther of 5 grown up

Knowing someone for two years is a small bit of time to be calling someone mom. That's a huge load to put on someone's shoulders whether or not you intended it to be. Look at things from her perspective and adjust accordingly, especially if you care for this person the way you seem to.

• Loonasee1 month agoReport

Nia: you both seem to care for each other. There are many young women beyond my own daughters I look at in a motherly way, but friendship is at the crux of it. If the mother/daughter label and all that comes with it is putting pressure on your relationship, simply redefine it.