How do I ask for more hours at work? ?

I work in a hospital laboratory as an assistant, just a part time job while I’m still in college. Recently they have fired two people and we are extremely understaffed. I took over our courier duties (picking up lab specimens from doctors offices in the county) which takes up almost 3 of my 4 hours per day, yet I’m still expected to do all my other duties, which takes several hours as well. The previous lab assistant (still works there, just moved to a higher position) said she didn’t have to do even half of what they’ve added for me to do, and she got paid way more. I was actually shocked when she told me how much money she made. Right now I feel used and underpaid (aren’t we all). I’m not asking for a pay raise right now, but I need more hours to get my work done. How do I ask for more hours from a manager that doesn’t like giving more hours? This is a healthcare job and I’m terrified of messing something up from rushing

to get things done in such little time.  

• You should never discuss pay rates at work, that can create animosity between co workers and it's none of your business. She's also in a higher position then you, so she's going to be making more money then you. If you want more hours, go to your boss. Have a chat with them, let them know what's going on and ask if you can have more hours.

• doesnt4 weeks agoReport

She told me what she made, I didn’t ask. And she was making that much more when she had the same position, not with the higher position she has now. Did you even read the description??

when your hours are over for the day u pack your bag and leave. u do not need to stay there longer. otherwise u should make an appointment with your manager and tell him what u wrote here apart from that other assistant - that is none of your business how much she is paid

• Judy

You can ask. Explain how the additional duties prevent you from getting your work done within you current hours. Good luck, but don't expect much.